1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale version of Billy Sheehan set.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Astronaut, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Been looking for a set of strings with the same gauge and material as the signature set of Mr. Sheehan but for a shorter scale bass.
    It’s a set from Roto, 43 65 80 110 stainless steel strings.
    Couldn’t find anything that match, within my search, and thought it would be easier to ask the community.
    Does it exist as a set? Or should I order individual strings? Perhaps something close enough!?
    If someone knows from the top of his head the exact set, please share it to me.
    Any other suggestion within the premise is much appreciated.

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    As for prepackaged sets, none that I'm aware of. The regular GHS 3035 short-scale bass Boomers (.107" low E) or 3070 Brite Flats (.108") are different in material, construction and gauges, and only worth mentioning (in your case) because their low E gauges approach 110 (Rotosound's own RS66S set is only 40-50-75-90).
    You could try this short-scale 5-string set made by Pyramid (40-60-80-100-120), skip the original E and use the 120 instead (this poster says it can work).
    Or go custom (Newtone; also Pyramid - depending on your language skills you may need a dictionary to navigate their custom order form... You can just shoot them an email though, their boss speaks English).

3. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Confirmed my fears.
    Just wish my bass had an inverted headshot! I tried going heavier using a 5 string set and did not liked it so much. Also it’s not very economic.
    Gonna instigate the other options you suggested. Also, are you saying I won’t find individuals on more conventional suppliers? Thanks

4. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Also I just came to know that going through body on a mustang would defeat the use of shorter strings; is it valid for any short scale regardless of the bridge, or is it specific do the classic mustang bridge? Should I consider installing ferrules on mine?

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    You won't find, or, to be more accurate: I haven't found a short-scale 110 of any material (stainless steel, nickel-plated steel, pure nickel, Alloy 52, Monel...) or construction (roundwound, pressurewound, groundwound, flatwound) for sale anywhere, either as part of a set or as a single.
    (As for the rest of the set, you could just get long-scale singles,* since in my experience even a 080 can be safely wound on a tuning post at full diameter without breaking.)

Classic Mustang basses (and the Justin Meldal-Johnsen signature model) are through-body only (in other words, they have back ferrules, and no bridge top-loading option), and need medium-scale strings (the JMJ comes with long-scale Fender flats, but they're pretty flexible and the low E is only a 100).
    Unfortunately, medium-scale strings, either in sets or in single strings, have just as poor a selection/availability as short-scale strings, and possibly less. No single mid-scale 110 that I know of, either.
    The new Mustang PJ is top-loading only, and needs short-scale strings. This is true of many shorties; others need medium-scale strings because of separate bridge and tailpiece, like most Höfners; others yet even need long-scale strings (Höfner Verythin; Ibanez Artcore 5-string). You really need to measure the string length requirement of your individual bass (from ball-end anchoring to nut is the minimum, ball-end to E string tuning post the maximum if you want to use heavy gauges).
    To complicate matters further, depending on the manufacturer you get nominally short-scale strings that range from 32" to 35.5" winding length (with the latter being well into nominally "medium-scale" as defined by other makers). So you also need to know what short, medium, long and super-long mean to a specific string manufacturer.

In your case, I do believe contacting Newtone or Pyramid and having a set of your preferred gauges made to your bass's exact specifications is the best and simplest course of action.

* [In a past post you mentioned being in Europe: single strings are available from Schneidermusik, Strings Direct, Lord of the Strings/Gitaar Snaren, Saitenmarkt.com, and from some of the heavyweight musical instrument online stores (Thomann, Gear4Music, Music Store/DV247, Musik Produktiv, Bax Music, Woodbrass, Kytary)]

Astronaut and michael_t like this.
  6. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Thank you very much HaphAsSard!
    It’s a shame, specially when you know there are all sorts of gauge sets for the 34inchers on each brand.
    I will be reaching for one of those brands you mentioned for sure.
    Thanks again.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021