Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Apr 30, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I know it's been done before but I really can't seem to find much. I'm looking for a short scale bass to turn piccolo and my only options seem to either be extremely cheap (cort, Hamer, EB-O) or super expensive (custom) I want something under a grand cause it'll most likely be for house playing but I still want a solid quality instrument. I was thinking the Univox Hi Flier but they are a little $ (especially seeing as how I need to convert to CAD too) is this any good http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64402&item=7317420301&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW ? But I don't think he even ships to Canada...

There's always Daisy Rock too....

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Don't rule out a baritone guitar, the average scale for these is between 27 and 28 inches (not an huge difference from 30"). Many can be had in that price range; just change the nut and string it how you want.

Fender makes two, Gibson and Epiphone have one a piece, etc.

If you are stuck on owning a bass tuned like a guitar, Warwick offers a 30" short neck for an upcharge.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I think the best value would likely be the SX. See if you can get someone in the US to buy one for you, remove the neck and post it as a smaller item (I'm hoping to find someone to do this for me to Oz for a J version).

Another alternative would be a secondhand Landing bass if you can find one.

5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    How about a Fender Mustang?

Totally biased seeing as i just bought one. Incredibly nice action very fast neck.

6. I own a MIJ Fender Mustang, A Gretsch BroadKaster and an Epiphone EB0.
    All short-scale, all different.
    I like the Epiphone more than the Mustang. The neck on the Mustang is too small for me.

7. Warwicks come in like 32" scale now i think. Thats if thats short enough

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    A tad more than what you're looking to spend, but Landing Bass guitars are definitely some of the best short scale basses around.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

On the baritone guitar front, there's an OLP copy of a Music Man baritone guitar. MM-something, I forget. See them on EBay from time to time. The Music Man copied is called a 6 string bass on the web site. It's 30" scale (bass gtr short scale) and the picups are placed as on a bass, not guitar...that is, the "neck" pickup isn't right up against the neck, it's a couple inches closer to the bridge. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

Also, I believe the new BC Rich Bich baritone is 30" scale, on Ebay also. both are under $400.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    http://www.olpguitars.com/mm5.asp

Yuk.

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks for all the speedy replies! I'm going to check on the Landing basses. I think Warwick is out of my price range. The Landigng look nice, but I didn't really want to spend over a grand US (+ S&H) Would the EB-O make a good Piccolo? I haven't heard too many good things about it...I also considered the SX and it probably does seem the best choice. I really like the look of those Hi Flier basses though, but don't know anythign about them really...

12. Probably not short enough, but a Rickenbacker 4003 is 33 and a 1/4 inch.

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    nope too long, and too costly. but thanks for the suggestion never the less.

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    back to you.

15. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey

It's rude to whisper at the forums!

16. jazzinjamielo

jazzinjamielo

May 1, 2005
    Philly
    My first bass was a fender (squire) Bronco bass, pretty short scale, used it in like 3rd grade haha, but it worked for me! The scale is REALLY short. I still play it sometimes if i want to try to play something really fast, but yea, go with a bronco!

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    sorry?

I want something at least a little better than a Squier... But who knows maybe one will blow my mind.

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  19. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Those look SWEET! I'm gonna check them out tomorrow when I have time, thanks alot!