1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short-scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chillinkittie, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Right now I'm looking on ebay at a couple of short scale basses just to have at home and mess around with. My main bass right now is a musicman SUB 4 fretless and I also have a Schecter CV-4, An acoustic electric Michael Kelly Dragonfly and a "Titan"(my first bass, which had surprisingly good sound for a $40 bass).

I have very small hands and fingers - so while I am used to the long scale, it is still a struggle to stretch sometimes.

Basically I am looking at a good solid low-cost short scale that still has some punch to it. The two I am looking at are:

A SX Vintage series:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320298488727

A Epiphone EB0:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=300258629086

They will both probably be in the range of $150 - $180 with S&H included. I was just hoping that maybe sometone could give me some advice as to which of the two I should pick and if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    go for the SX!
    EB-0's are pretty much one trick ponies that aren't even good at their only trick.
    I would buy both if I had the means to, I mean it's only 40 bucks.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

A lot of people will tell you to "be a man" and just get used to the long scale. I'm not one of them. I play short scale exclusively.

Of the two, my personal preference is the SX (which by the way is cheaper on Rondo's web site). The SX Jazzes are very nice basses. They have a nice beefy sound (like a Jazz should) and they are put together very nicely considering the price.

I'm not a huge fan of Epiphone, though I am a huge fan of Gibson. I have a Gibson SG Supreme that's killer.

The best advice is to play the basses you are interested in to see which you like better. But since you're going through eBay that's not possible.

I'd suggest getting the SX through Rondo. Their return policy is stellar -- something you won't get with most eBay sellers. Rondo sells on eBay too.

4. thanks for the info! I think I'm def going for the SX through Rondo - I see a lot of people love their SXs and I do not want something that sounds like a toy.