1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by elavate7, Oct 26, 2009.

1. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    hey, can short scale basses use normal strings????or do i have to get the short scale?

2. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You can get away with it , most of the time .
    Depends on the particular bass and gauge of the strings.

What kind of bass you have in mind ?

3. You can, but it is better, in my opinion, to go ahead and use strings made for that scale. If avaliblity is the problem, then go to www.juststrings.com or www.bpstrings.com. Both sites have a number of short scale sets in various gauges and and string types for reasonable prices.

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I just trimmed down a set of long scale SIT Silencers and put them on an SX Jazz short scale. No problems at all...

5. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry for the hijack..

I am putting Daddario chromes on my Stingray 5. I accidentally ordered the Super long scale length. Will I be ok just cutting them down to fit? or should I return the strings, and just get some regular scale ones?

6. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    There's no reason to buy "short scale" strings, and in my experience (played a Mustang exclusively for a few years) it's actually better to just buy standard gauge strings. Just put them on like normal and cut off the excess once you wind them. There should be no issues.

Edit: If you have the other style of tuning pegs (the ones found more commonly on basses) just make sure you give yourself like two inches of extra string past the peg to get enough wraps.

Honestly I think that "short scale" strings are all marketing hype. They come in the same gauges as standard strings. The distance between your bridge and nut doesn't change, so the tension should be the same regardless of what the package says.

7. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would say that this really depends on the bass you're playing. I'm generally opposed to stringing shorties with longer scale strings only because I've seen too many inexperienced players cut them too short and experience tuning and intonation issues. This isn't to say that you can't ever do it, though, as long as you know what you're doing.

I have a Fender Mustang re-issue that has taken well to medium-scale strings based on its string-through-body design. I have strung it with short scale strings in the past, but the medium scales generally fit much better.

My Ibanez Mikro is a 28.6" scale that takes short scale strings just fine.

8. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I sent my question in to D'Addario customer service, and this was the reply I got. (I accidentally purchased super long scale strings for my 34" scale bass)

So I guess cutting down strings meant for a higher scale instrument is not recommended for intonation reasons.