short solo, feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by conk97, May 10, 2005.

1. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    Im trying to figure out a bass solo for one of my bands songs and i came up with this (I will expand the song when i get some feedback). I just wanna know what you think of the solo. :)

2. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    some of the notes are off...:) but the meldy sounds good
  3. symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    sounds pretty cool man

you should change that final C at least - i dont like it

there are some other wrong notes but good job :hyper:
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think it's dissonant, but dissonant is tasty, ie Primus.

Can you tell me how to sign up my band/me for myspace? I have a myspace account for myself, but I want one where I can host music and whatnot.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Wouldn't have labeled that a solo per se, but whatever.

I'll just stay curteous and say it needs major work.
  6. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    To sign your band up to myspace click on 'music' at the top.. then click 'artist register'.
  7. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    by wrong notes what do you mean? I did not improvise but changed the original idea as i was playing
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I don't know what these guys are talking about. 'Wrong notes'? What the hell is a 'wrong note'? Are you people so enamoured by pentatonic scales that your ears perceive anything in the slightest bit deviant to be 'off'? :eyebrow:

Without hearing your solo in the context of the song you are writing it for, it's really difficult to comment. It's definitely not the most... technical thing I've ever heard, but that's not important at all. It sounds good, so go with it.

Oh, and thanks for not just zipping up and down a minor figure. :hyper:
  9. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    yeah i dont want to write really technical stuff cause when it comes to playing live im gonna **** up big time..thats why i wrote something simple. Im gonna improve it and make it abit longer (or just do it twice but i'll prolly add more 2 it)...and going up and down scales is boring and sounds dull :hyper:
  10. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I'm with Tones, it's a nice tune. The last 4 notes from F# down to C was surprising, as was the earlier chromatic descent from Bb; but c'mon guys, it's all context - sure those are dissonant if we're assuming that the chords at this point are something simple like E and B major triads, but we don't know that, and even so, wrong is often good :) Heck, we don't even know the genre.

And c'mon, be encouraging, his page says he's been playing under a year. How many of us were composing solos at that point? Not me, and if I had, it wouldn't be as good as this.
  11. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    I will admit to not knowing much theory thus why i dont write riffs that are acurate to scales..i dont really care about scales.

and thanks for the kind words..and im sure you could have wrote something better :bassist:
  12. Sounds Good bro. You'll have to post the whole song when its finished, i'll be interested to here it.
  13. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    thank getting a Mini-Disk Player/recorder on monday so i can recorded the **** at band practice.

Should have the instrumental song and a few others on the net soon :hyper:
  14. I'd like some simple click or drum track underneath it(you know something generic) to give it some....errr...don't know what to call it, balance, when I hear it, just a bass doesn't say a lot to me

but it's ok, especcially for the time that you've been playing, it's got a bit of hook to it
  15. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    i might re-recorded it later on 2day or 2moz and put a simple drum beat under it :)