Short straps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jzucker, Sep 21, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Who makes 'em? I custom ordered a couple leather ones (34") but I'd like to find something adjustable that doesn't cut into my neck.

2. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Try Comfort Strapps. Get the "Pro Bass Short" Model, they feel great.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's the only one I've found that's short enough for me. Good thing it's comfy. Elderly has the best prices on them. I think ActiveMusican.com has the second best price on them. I own three.

4. I'd definately try a comfort strap, I use a short one, it's really comfortable even after playing for 5 or 6 hours.

5. Note to self: Searching comfort strap on google doesnt yield desired results.

On for the ride too. Even though Im pretty tall (6'3") normal straps dont realy work for me.

Any others besides the comfort strap? I really like leather padded straps.

6. Dave, try googling "Comfort Strapp" (the second "p" is important).

I know several major shops that do mail order keep them in stock.

And, it's the ONLY strap I am comfortable with, highly recommended.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Just wear your strap a little lower, you wankers! Sheesh, every body here is a Berklee/Gary Willis wannabe. Would it hurt you guys to just play some simple grooves below the 12th fret for a change? I, for one, am just sick of this out-dated, cheesy, bad-Jaco-imitation bass playing.

:D :D :D

8. Hah, yeah I got it now, just wasnt shopping for bras (not now anyways). ;) :D

Hows the durability on these? Ive had the same Levys leather strap that has broken in wonderfully for about 4 years now. Its VERY comfortable, but I would love to have something about 3 or 4 inches shorter.

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Try these straps from Shoreline Music. They work very well for me and are very comfortable.

10. Dave, they're VERY sturdy!

Looking at them, they seem like they'd be a bit dodgy, just some neoprene rubber, an elastic band, and some leather bits at either end...but, I gigged in the French Quarter in Nawlinz for 18 months, 6 hrs a night, 5 nights a week with one. I bought it 3 years prior to that, and I am still using it (you've seen it, probably) now - over 6 years after I left the gig in NOLA!

11. Wow, impressive. I was a little bit concerned about them being cheap in comparison to other nicer straps, but I may have to grab one and give it a try.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just ordered a pair of them. Thanks for the reference.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man, if only I was capable of bad Jaco-imitation bass....:D

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I feel the same.

15. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I bought a Levy's leather strap and brought it into the shoemaker to be altered. The strap already had a second hole, so all he needed to do was cut off the extra.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have a Comfort Strapp in medium. It is pretty short. The Pro Bass Short is very short.

Make sure that you order the right length, they are not as adjustable as most other straps.

17. Jeff -

I looked on their site, and saw no medium, only short, long and extra long.

I measured my strap and its 40" from hole to hole. To get that short I have to use the top hole.

Either way, I just ordered the 38-45 inch one, so well see how that goes. I pulled my bass up to where I want it and measured the slack and got right at 38 inches, so that one should work great.

18. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I always ended up "customizing" my leather straps myself to make them shorter; i.e. making more rectangular cuts in the main strap, and sometimes punching more holes in the adjustable "tail." In fact, I just had to do it to a brand new Levys strap.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021