Short string height screws for Fender JB - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fenderlicious, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Fenderlicious

Fenderlicious

Oct 23, 2012
    Hey fellow bass players,
    I did some search and didn't get an obvious answer, so sorry it it's been answered before. The standard string height screws in the bridge of my MIA jazz bass are ruining the side of my hand. I need to replace them with a shorter version. I think standard are about 1/2" (10-12mm?) long. I need them half that length. I think 1/4" would work perfectly.
    Can anyone point me at a resource, or better, direct link where I could buy those suckers? Does Fender make them (I looked, didn't find)? If yes, what's the fender part number?

Greatly appreciated.

2. Take one of the screws out and go to the hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ace, etc. they should have a shorter replacement. I think the SAE ones are 6-32 and the metric are 3mm but I could be mistaken.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm thinking you'll likely need to modify whatever you get - I've never seen such a thing for sale. Maybe best to modify what you already have if you have any DIY skills. Then again, maybe an expert will show up with a supply link :).

4. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    I second taking one to a store except I would go to a specialty place like Fastenal or Grainger. While you are at it get them in stainless steel. I've done that with my fenders and corrosion is a thing of the past. That really helped because here in Florida by the ocean we do lots of hot and sweaty outdoor gigs.

5. Yes, stainless isn’t a bad idea, I meant to mention that. Around here, the Ace and TruValues have a decent selection of stainless screws and bolts.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021