Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shorter stacked knobs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I got an Aguilar OBP-3 installed on my bass.. and its a 3 knob config so theres a stacked knob. i got the knobs that were the only ones that fit the pots from bestbassgear.com... the knobs ar pretty tall.. i was wondering if it were possible to switch the stacked pot for new ones that are a bit shorter? and if so.. which ones?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

pots and knobs is just another one of those areas where there's no standards in the bass world. I would look into moding the existing setup. You could get another stack but you may run into the same thing - unless you bought it with knobs - but they probably wouldn't match your existing ones.

By "tall" if you mean the knob bottom has a gap from the face of the bass, then shim the pot. I'm guessing that's the issue.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

There are different sized knobs and you might check with Stewart-McDonald.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I was gonna mention Warmoth. I know they have both sizes of knobs because I was looking at them last night.

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    They have different widths of knobs, but they're both the same height.

Also they're only made to fit their pots, so you may end up needing to replace your pot to get a different knob.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    No sir, they have two different pot heights, one for regular nonconcentric pots, and then two different styles of the same height for concentrics. The normal pot is listed as standing 11/16" tall, and both upper concentric pots are listed at 1/2" tall.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_knobs

However, you are correct that their knobs are made to fit their pots (although not necessarily only their pots... I don't know what a standard pot size is), so there's no guarantee their knobs will fit your shafts.

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    thanks to all! much help. i ended up going with adding a washer on one side to "shim"? the pot. that little bit made the stacked knobs a lil easier to the eyes and less of a drastic jump in side from the other two.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Well yeah, but we were only talking about concentric pots.
    I'll edit my statement:
    Both of warmoth's concentric pots are the same height.
    happy now? :spit:

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Argh, U B shimm'n tharr