Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shortscale Basses ...crap or OK??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by srj, Sep 18, 2003.

1. As i have back problems i was thinking about buying a shortscale bass. I would have dismissed these in the past , because i didn't think the short scale would give a deep enough sound .
    But now i'm thinking again.

I was thinking of buying a Danelectro Longhorn
    or perhaps a Hofner bass .

So shortscale basses good ,bad , do you have one ?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Modern designs (read: other than Danelectro or Höfner) sound and play well even in shortscale format.

Fenix used to offer a nice affordable one.
    BassCulture offers highend (fretless) models that sound good.

http://www.bassculture.de/

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you consider a Epiphone Jack Casady Bass?. It is not short scale but semi hollow and balances well, I think this is a great bass if you suffer from back pain. Keep Rockin

4. Major Metal has a point, it truly is a light, sweet sounding bass, but I personally didn't like how chunky the neck was, but I know some people do..check it out if you can

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have 2 short scale basses. One is a Hofner 500/1 V62 and the other is a Vox Constellation IV.
    Both produce more than enough bottom end to satisfy anyone. They are fun basses to play and very conversational.

Perhaps you might be interested in a medium scale classic style bass. Check this link out.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=98632

6. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Hmmm, when I tried a Jack Casady bass it was actually pretty ordinary weight-wise, if not a little heavier. I too thought it would be lighter. But it is a nice nice sounding bass if you are in to the hollowbodies.

I think you should go kubicki, very versiatle, very nice sound to them. My bass teacher has one, and it is quite cool. The D-extension is pretty handy too.:)

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Warwick give the option of standard 34", extra long 35", medium 32" and short 30" on practically all basses (or is it just the BO's?).

If you're more of a fender guy, you might wanna track down a stu hamm urge model, in the 32" variety.

Or for a tougher task, a kubicki X-factor, also 32".

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have a Fender Musicmaster that I bought out of nostalgia that has become my main gigging, jamming, and noodling bass... You can find 'em on ebay for reasonable prices... Sound fine as they come, or you can mess with them a bit and have a really nice sounding axe. I've added a Raven Labs Retrofit P electronics, and well... you really have to hear the bass before you'll believe how good it sounds...

I also have an Epi Jack bass... sounds great, but actually a bit tough for me to play for long periods due to the edge binding digging into my arm... I have to hold the bass a bit differently, which actually aggravates my back!

I have played an MIM Urge bass and it was very nice, (in fact, I wish that guy would bring it back to the Thursday night jam!!), light, comfortable scale, awesome sound!

-robert

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 60's Eb3.

Awesome.

Light.

Powerful

Thor

10. How about a Rob Allen Mouse. A little bit of a different animal than the ones mentioned here, but only 5.5lbs. An MB-2 would be around 6.5lbs.

Geoff

11. I have a '71 Gibson EB-0 short scale which has more bottom than any other 4 string I own. Very playable, and not very heavy. Well balanced. I have had some hollowbody short scaled basses which I found very neck heavy. I don't like to have to use my left hand to hold an instrument up as well as play it. By the way, I have the EB-0 for sale for $450 if you are interested. Take a look.to see basses
    cka@visuallink.com or (540)-888-7940

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A good Danelectro Longhorn is a good choice. Just check it carefully, because they are very different between individuals.

They seem to be built to go best with british amps and cabs - especially Trace.

13. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    i had a fender mustang a long time ago and loved it. not the deepest bass but certainly enough and with a little eq you're there.

in fact i've been looking for one for a while but too many idiots have determined this is a real collectible and looking for 2-3x what they're worth.

find one at a good price and you'll be happy. uhh, tried a new squier mustang locally ...don't bother.

bill

14. bass-skin

bass-skin

Jul 17, 2003
    buffalo NY
    yeah i used to play a longhorn it was very nice, light well balanced, sounded great. A lot of people say it sounded better recorded than my ric

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I have a med scale Alembic Series 1; a med scale Turner Model 1 & a short scale Guild Starfire with Alembic pups/electronics. All of these are just as rich, full, deep & low as any 34" or 35" that I have now or have had in the past.

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I also get to play a Longhorn RI about every other month at a blues jam and love it... I agree with bass-skin, they're definitely a workable axe... They're discontinued but make regular appearances on ebay... Some of the later ones have a more intonable bridge and upgraded tuners, but I like the unabashed "I am a cheap bass and proud of it!" 'tude that the earlier RI's possess with the little rosewood bridge piece...

I also agree with bollefen on the current rates for Mustang's... Once Fender re-issued them, the prices on the used ones skyrocketed... While they've always been preferred over the Musicmaster by the player community, I just like the Musicmaster better... Maybe because I had one early in my formative playing years and was always embarrassed by it's shortscale and 'spartan' bridge, it's lack of cool factor that is so important to teenagers of any era... Now that I have one again, it's those very things that draw me to it, along with it's Popeye attitude, ("I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam!")... I'm starting to get all choked up... I'll just post a pic and vacate :D

[​IMG]

-robert

17. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    There's nothing inherent in short scale basses that would cause them to have less low end. The harmonics don't ring out as much as on a long scale, some people perceive this as lack of depth and confuse it with lack of fundamental. But it's just not so.

Many short scale basses have suffered from cheap construction and poor electronics, that's not the fault of the scale length.