1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shortscale under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vyse933, Oct 12, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i currently have a student who will be getting a new bass, has a budget of 500, and wants my help in finding her a possible bass. considering she has a 35' scale bass right now...and is have a hell of a time trying to play that thing , i obviously think she should at least get 34. i had her play a 32 in a local guitar store and decided that shortscale would be the way to go with her. (if not shortscale, maybe a ibanez soundgear). now what i'm wondering is if any of you fine TBers have any expierence or know of a shortscale bass at 500 dollars or less....that is of similer quality that you should expect from a 500 dollar 'long scale'?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Danelectro is your friend.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    aha! thank you fine sir

4. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
  5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Besides the sweet Douglas mentioned, there are also several other short scale basses at the Rondo site.

Fender also has a short scale P Bass for about $400.

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Epiphone EB0

7. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Epiphone EB0 is the LAST bass I would suggest (I own one). Check my profile for other short scale basses, all good. But the Epi, well, it's not that good.

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    sjb62343ts1.jpg spb57342ts1.jpg wveb833sn1.jpg
    sjb7534na1a.jpg asb1semihc1.jpg hvb600asb1.jpg
    harmbass1a.jpg

9. +1 had one, it was one of the worst basses I've ever owned.

Better choices would be: SX short scale jazz from Rondo, the Fender or Squire Bronco or the Rogue Violin bass from Musicians Friend.

For $559 I highly recomend the Fender Mustang, (IMO) the oll time best of the short scale basses.

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

11. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    hmm, does anyone have more info on the fender mustang?

12. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I looked at a new Mustang in the store the other day, and was not impressed. It just looked shoddy compared to my other short scales, and costs three times as much! I wonder if it is the name one is paying for?

13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The F-word will cost you.

14. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    BobWestbrook
    Are the Hammers and the Rondo stuff really better than that EB0? How so? I was thinking of getting an EB0 and would appreciate any info!
    thanks!

15. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    The Dean, the Cort, the Hamer, anything from Rondo, are MUCH better than the EB0. There was a recent thread here in which people cited their worst sounding bass, and the Epi was often mentioned.

Just don't do it. :)

Find the nearest swamp, throw your amp in it, and play, and you'll get a good idea of what the EB0 sounds like.

I've performed major surgery on mine, with a new pickup, defretted lacquered fretboard, and Rotosound Trubass 88 strings, so that it now has somewhat of an upright-bass like tone, but it's still no bell-ringer.

16. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I have a new Gibson SG bass and I love it. It is short scale but it sounds very very growly. Rather than getting the EB0 I would get Epi's EB-3 copy. The bridge humbucker makes all the difference in the world in that bass's tone. they are just $399.99 at Musiciansfriend.com
    [​IMG]

17. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I've been told the fatal flaw of the EB0 is the single humbucker positioned at the neck, so it makes sense the other pickup would make all the difference.

To the original poster, if your student is not going to smack it around, I'd say give the Douglas Violin bass at try, it's really sweet at $139. But for something hardier, go with the Hamer Slammer.

18. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The little Hamer Slammer isn't bad for the money, under $200.
    [​IMG]

A bit hard to play sitting down but you can coax some decent sounds out of it.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021