Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shot in the Head-

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Shouldn't it be ''You give Dumb a bad name?"

;)

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The best bit is that he lived with it inhis head for almost a week thinking it was toothache...

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Reminds me of phineus gage.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    So wait, how did that go in like that? It's like upside down, wouldn't it have to have gone in THROUGH his mouth? Crazy ****.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    It did!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yowza...gives me the willies. After the initial pain of it being lodged in your head you'd have some kinda residual pain on those cold days.

brad cook

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    On the radio this morning:

"Surgeons said he was extremely lucky, one centimetre to the left or to the right and there was a chance he could be President."

:D

8. You guys sure know how to be be pricks when it comes to an injury. Make sure you read the artical before you judge.

He was a constuction worker using a nail gun and sometimes things go wrong and happen so fast you don't know what happened. He thought it was just shrapnel that poped him in the lips (I saw the story on the channel 11 news)

"His nail gun backfired and sent the nail into his lip, though his skull, and narrowly missed his right eye. The nail lodged itself 1.5 inches into his brain."

Tell me, would you immediatly think of going to the hosital when he has a history of injuries on the job (knicks etc) Especially when his insurance may not cover the full total of an ER visit and a x-ray. And don't even say well he had a tootch ache .. If something hit him in the lip fast enough he didn't know what it was it could cause tooth dislodgement and some pain.

And the odds of that happening are ???????/?

Don't be so judgemental. Thats my main point besides my ranting because I don't want to go to work.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Let it be shown on the record that my post about this moron was completely nonjudgemental.

:spit:

brad cook

10. :D

I once was getting very bad headaches, so my doctor sent me to get an X-ray of my head.

They found nothing. :bag:

Mike :D

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Crazy thing is, it was the second injury of that type that the dentist had seen in his office!

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

He had no insurance. That probably was the deciding factor keeping him from getting it checked out, but then the pain probably got to him.

13. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    As a framer myself for ten years and counting,I find it hard to believe that he "accidentially" shot himself in the mouth with a nail gun and did not realize he had done so. I have had the pleasure of being shot several times, and there is no way it could be mistaken. This guy is a total moron who has no bussiness operating any kind of tool in the first place. I would have say he was screwing around and got shot.

Morons like this keep my insurance premiums almost unaffordable. I feel no pity for him at all. Hopefully he is smart enough not to come back to the trade and leave it to the pros.

14. Im with Jawzzz 100%

I am a 3rd generation carpenter and have been doing this myself now for 11 years. So i think i know a thing or two about this kind of stuff. I think this guy is full of crap.

There is a little nozzle on the end of the nail guns barrel that unless pushed in when pressed against something will not fire. (See the pics i included. Pic 1 has an arrow pointing to the nozzle, pic 2 shows only how a nail gun can fire. ) Therefore being shot in that matter where the nail is pointing up through his skull i dont see it happeneing unless he was deliberitely screwing around...possibly holding the gun against his chin when it accidently went off. (unless he meant to do it :p)

Attached Files:

15. And since you've been in the biz as long as you have, you know very well how that safety device is one of the first things that either:

- gets ignorantly removed by the users when the tool is new
    - gets jammed thru misuse, removed and then ignorantly not repaired
    - gets damaged and then lost and then ignorantly not repaired.

In any case, the ensuing accidents from these behaviors are definitely caused by the users.

It happens all the time and not just with nail guns. Air staplers, stud guns, and other high velocity and impact tools have similar types of interlock devices and they often are removed by the operators with excuses like "It gets in the way" or "That's for amateurs"

My experience comes from the OSHA training I've had to take as my divisions OSHA safety officer.

16. Possible yes...but from what i seen when these things break or are removed..the gun stops working all together and nothing happens more than air escaping.
    The majority of these that i seen now have the saftey nozzle directly tied into the trigger...you remove the nozzle the trigger becomes useless and cant fire whatsoever.

17. Either way, if you use a tool after deliberately nixxing safety devices or continue to use it knowing it is faulty, then poo on you.

Says bucketloads. You can't rapid fire two nails into a board, one after the other and think the second nail will push the first full through...there's that head thing on a nail's end that kinda puts the koibosh on that... you know, howthey are sometimes put there to stop the nail FROM going thru the board in the first place. Same thing with his skull...the pointy end pierced, the head end stopped. ;)

18. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    The majority of carpenters and other workers I know in my area have old, outdated tools. Safety devices and such were not as common on old models of tools, including nail guns. I'm not saying this guy wasn't screwing around, because he may have been. But I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that he must have had the state of the art nail gun. If he didn't have insurance, it's most likely because he couldn't afford it. If you can't afford insurance, I don't know if you can afford brand new tools.
    One thing though, if his nail gun DID have these safety features and it DID misfire, then he has a good case against the manufacturer, and it's a good bet that they could be recalled.
    Either way, it IS mildly amusing that you could have a nail in your head and not know about it.

Oh and I'm with Hambone about guys removing safety devices and such. I've seen lots of guys remove the guards on circular saws, take the shields off high-powered weed eaters, and even saw a guy take the safety killswitch guard off his chainsaw. User error is a huge factor in any accident.