1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shotgun Wedding Precision / Stingray

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by martyonbass, Dec 6, 2011.

1. martyonbass

martyonbass

Dec 16, 2009
    Guy breaks into your shop with maple neck and pickups and says, "Marry up a pretty passive P-bass and a nasty active Stingary or I'll shot the chickens". You can tell he's serious. You can see it in his eyes. Ruthless, yet weathered from years of switching back and forth. Your initial fear turns to empathy. You realize the rifle is not loaded.

Give me some sketches. Who would you/I do it? Use a Jag body? Or a Tele body? ATK? Or the MM Oval? Reverse the P pups? Toggle switch? I NEED BOTH IN MY HANDS...:bawl:

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Standard P & Ray pup positions overlap each other, you can reverse the P to adress this issue.

3. I've never played a stingray, so I wouldn't know if the way-down-bridge-position type of MM pickup has that distinct sound that the slightly higher up one does, but you could just that type of MM pickup, and that wouldn't require moving the P-bass pickup.

4. a P is mightier than a gun, grab it and have him do his worst!! :D

sandberg basses have both pups - though I'm not sure you'll get exactly both sounds, but might come close enough . . . good luck.

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    A thought - a MM pickup wired in series can approximate a P sound.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have a MM pickup in the bridge position of my P. Its quite a bit closer to the bridge than a Ray so its brighter and a bit thinner sounding than your average StingRay. It does however work quite well with the P pickup, and sounds good soloed.

IMAG0023.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've got both sitting right here. Without breaking out the tape measure and just lining them up nut to nut / bridge to bridge, to get the right location you'd pretty much have to route the MM pickup flush against the bridge-side of the p pickups. Doable, but I think it would be ugly. I'd use a master volume and tone with a blend and a coil tap on the MM, but that's just my preferred setup, YMMV...

8. martyonbass

martyonbass

Dec 16, 2009
    Nice bass Beej. I have a p-j body that I could openup a bit and try that too. I see some switches there also. Preamp? Wonder what it would look like with the MM pickup kissing up to the precision pickguard.. I like the pickup rewire suggestion on a MM by Hopkins. I actually have a double humbucker stingray. Maybe the neck pickup could be rewired in series, while keeping the bridge pu with standard wiring.

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Mine is passive, the switches are series/parallel for the P and MM pickup. I never use the P in parallel. I would get rid of the switch but the extra hole would drive me nuts.

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I would do a standard precision bass with a MM pickup instead of the P, and a stingray preamp.

11. Anyone ever tried the other way around? Like a marriage of a Gibson EB/TeleBass style humbucker up at the neck + a P pup? I've been thinking/dreaming about it.

I imagine a big round growl. :D

12. Whatever you decide,I'd definitely go with reversing the P pickup (Unless your're dead set on that Motown tone). IMHO,I think it sounds sooo much better. After all,literally thousands of Spector Basses can't be wrong,can they?

13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'd actually love to hear just a stock Precision with a Stingray preamp.

14. martyonbass

martyonbass

Dec 16, 2009
    Well, my HH Stingray could be altered with a P set in the bridge position. But I'd bet there would be other impedance issues. On the other hand, if it worked, I'd have a MM pickup freed up for a 2nd hybrid, maybe an all passive p/mm.

Also, thanks for the Ozbass thread, very interesting, and very sobering too.