Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shoud i get this spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Bass Central has an SSD NS6 for sale. It's in great condition, if not mint. They want $2500 for it. It was made in 4/7/94 and according to Bass Central, was the 3rd 6 string by spector be made and made by Stuart himself. You guys would have to check that for accuracy if you're curious. But what do you guys think? Should i do it?

EDIT: I'm sure that if i don't like it, i can return it and all i would probably loose would be the shipping, but that would be an a**.

2. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I was there when the gentleman brought it in. Its SUPERB. I'm not a six string player, but I watched a guy who was..man, it was smokin' :) It is in mint, it looks like the guy never even used it.

Just lettin ya know.

-Neal

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    should you get it??

not if i do first :p.

but yes. buy the spector and die happy.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    btw, i have a cherry sunburst spector and it looks FANTASTIC. the neckthrough and the burst together really look cool. the pics probably dont do the bass justice.

5. Also, let me bring something else up. I'm technically in need of a new amp. Mine just doesn't cut it. So should i go for this bass and forget about the amp, just change it later, or should i do the amp? If i get the bass, i'll probably just get a Sansamp BDDI for places with good PAs.

6. I don't blame you a bit for wanting to buy the Spector! But, if the amp situation is more of a necessity then you should buy a quality rig first. You could always buy a USA Spector later.

7. Yeah, i understand your point Mr. Dead. Yeah, right now i have a Hartke 2115 combo, so it's ok when i play with guitar players who have 2x12 combos or cabs, but not when i do with a guitar player who has a Triple Rectifier and a 4x12 cab. It's just so hard to turn down an American Spector 6 string for $2500. Though yeah, i guess i could always get a bolt-on american 6 string for like $2000 or so. Plus, they said they'll change the pickups in them as long as they fit into the spaces made, and since the 6 has two pickups the size of soapbars, i could have EMG CS pickups put in for no extra charge. hmm....

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the bass is immaculate, that is a good deal. If you need(or want;)) a 6, can't do much better than a USA neck through.

GAS says get the Spector, logic says upgrade your amp.

Only you can make that decision.

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    the above is the word of yoda.....heed it well.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not too familiar w/the Hartke, but cant you add another 8 ohm cab? If so, buy a cab that you want to pair up w/your next head, use it for now w/the Hartke buy the SPECTOR (Gard & I spoke about that bass but I really dont have the need for 6 strings) & buy the head and/or another cab when the wallet/spouse allows.

GET THE BASS!!!!!!!

11. Hmmm...this is such a tough decision, and Nino, you bring up a great point. I would do that method except there will be one problem for me with that. All the cabs i'm looking at aren't cheap. They are either Eden or SWR Pro gear. But still, who knows what i'll do, like embellisher said, logic says to change the amp, but GAS says Spector all the way.

12. Actually there is just one way to go. Get the SPECTOR and a new guitar player.:D This way you don't have to worry about the amp.;)

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Any decent Spector dealer should be able to give you a NEW USA 6 for around $3100 (at least thats the quote I got here locally). I personally would rather spend the extra $600 and have the waranty and piece of mind of knowing my local dealer will stand behind me even years down the road. Dealers can only do so much after a certain amount of time if a piece is used. Now if they were offering a used, excellent shape NS6 for about $1500-$1800....THATS a different story!

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I just looked @ the Spector site & his prices went up this year. If that dealer is looking @ the old price list (which I aasume he is & you know what happens when I assume :D) then the $3100 is about right, if that dealer is lookin @ the new price list, he's cutting himself <b>alot</b> short. The new list price for a USA NS-6XL is $4599.99 + $750 for a high gloss finish + $175 for the case total list price is <b><u>$5524.99</b></u> If you were to get one from a dealer, I'd expect you to pay $3550 or higher. If you shop @ the store ALOT, maybe $3400.

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You are correct Sir! That quote was from about a year ago so he must have based it on the old price. I guess I'll have to check out that new bolt on 6 (NSJ6 ???).

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Get the Spector - it'll be a good investment!!!! And once you've got it you can learn how to play a 6 stringer - if it doesn't work out, I'll take it off you hands for about £5 and this snickers I'm half way through!!:D

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I tried a few of the USA Bolt on 4's & 5's & I was very impressed!!!! If you can check one out, do it, I you will be as suprised as I was.

18. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i read the thread title.. saw nino posted and thought to myself "i bet he didnt even read the thread and told the man 'yes"

:p :D

GO FOR THE SPECTOR!

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mr Fortune, sir...

I say get the amp...you've already got a Spector. You obviously love 'em, but it seems more of a necessity.

BTW: If you want to really freak out with killer tone, try the EBS:D

I promise you that you and your Euro Spector will thank me, hundreds of times over;)

20. Oh yeah, i've already given up on this bass. I mean look at the date i posted it, January 8th, someone revived this thread, oh well.