1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should a new player stay away from flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rollyolly, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I love the old school sound of flats. But is there any reason that a newbie should stick with rounds while developing fundamentals? Would the tension of chromes be too much for a beginners hands?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Interesting question.
    No.
    Play whatever floats your boat.

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The only reason I can think of is that flats are not prone to finger noise, so a new player could develop some nasty string squeak habits that hinder him from playing on rounds later.

4. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    No.

Once upon a time...basses only came with flats...even in prehistoric times...like the 70s.

5. In my opinion, I think you should try flats as soon as possible. If you don't like them, don't get rid of them. Keep them around. In a few months, try them again.

The first time I tried flats I didn't like them. A year or two later, I ordered a custom P-bass and asked for LaBella Jamerson's on it. They sounded beautiful.

6. I started out with flats in 1967 and again in 2008 when I re-started. Flats are a classic sound for bass.

They will also be easier on your fingers. My warwick came with roundwound strings that cut finger tips like velveeta cheese. Zeeeeep......zoooooop....Owwwww!

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Just wanted to join the long list of resounding "No"s

I had a student who took 1 lesson and I talked about flats vs rounds, he switched and never looked back.

He was playing gospel, church stuff, thought it was a good fit for him. Plus he found it easier to slide.

8. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    You should get some Pro Steels :)

9. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm thinking either chromes or T-I jazz flats. Would you say the tension of the T-I's is similar to medium roundwounds? That might make it easier as a rookie.

10. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Absolutely right. I tried flats just when I was a beginner and didn't like them at all, but recently I tried 1971' vintage Fender Precision strung with flats and man it was beatiful. Nothing compares to this sound and feel... The reason behind it I think is that your musical taste develops with years you play and eventually you come to loving right things)

11. I think that the flats of years ago are different than the flats of today

The GHS precision flats and Daddario chromes are light years ahead of what was available in the 70's - I'd even bet that LaBella Jamersons are a different animal today vs. when Jamerson played them

YMMV

(ps: IMHO, go with flats and never look back!)

12. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Another "No".

Chromes are about the same tension as other strings. I use them on my ABG.

Thomastik Jazz Flats (TI's) are LESS tension than most other strings. I use these on my Precision.

The only thing a beginner may be missing with flats is the joy of developing and maintaining finger callouses. ;)

13. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Absolutely not. That's why there are light gauge flatwounds. I've done so much experimentation between flatwounds and roundwounds that plenty of expressions thrown around such as: "loose like rubber bands" or "tense like bridge cables" seem to be over-exaggerated. Tension should always be taken into account but never should anyone (new to playing the bass) go from extra light rounds to Steve Harris Rotosounds without proper adjustments to the neck.

My advice for new players is to buy a light gauge set of both rounds and flats. From there, they should pick their sound of choice and up the gauge if they feel up to it. Personally, for budget purposes, I recommend D'Addario XL Rounds & GHS Precision Flats. Shouldn't cost anywhere over $45 for both and any player will get a good dose of what either string-type sounds like.

14. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I would say TI's are much more like light gauge rounds. Before I tried TI's, DR sunbeams .45-1.05 were the lightest tension string I had ever used. I like Chromes .45-.100. They feel just a little be tighter than say D'addario XL nickels in the same gauge.

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I think a new player should use whatever he wants, but I believe there are benefits to learning with rounds. The biggest benefit is being forced to learn cleaner left hand technique. Flats don't squeak like rounds when you slide on them. Learning on flats and moving to rounds at some point might be a little frustrating.

16. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I think players should start out with relatively unforgiving gear (eg acoustic vs electric guitar) but that's just me.

17. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    I think that playing any string with a higher tension right from the get go would be a good idea. It would definitely build your finger strength quicker.

But on the same token, it could frustrate a beginner because of the difficulty it would take to pluck.

18. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    who cares- like everyone else has said- play whatever you want. Try them out, you may like them

19. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I wish I had started with flats.

I believe it would have helped me focus more priority on groove, tasty note selection, and effective use of space; rather than filling everything with right-hand machine gun speed and mindless running up and down scales. This is coming from a punk / thrash background.

20. +1 for TI Jazz Flats. Sure they're more expensive, but they last forever, great tone, I love 'em.