1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should any headphones work with a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by PotterLog, May 2, 2018.

1. PotterLog

PotterLog

Apr 25, 2018
    Silly question probably, but in theory should *any* headphones work? Like even the crappiest pair of cellphone buds for example? I have a pair of decent Sony headphones and a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adaptor but I get nothing through them at all... might be the adaptor, dunno. Just wanted to check it's not something obvious about the type of headphones...

2. Falsecrack

Falsecrack

Nov 21, 2017
    I’ve used all manner of headphones through my practice amp. Obviously, sound quality will vary, but so far, every one I used, produces sound.

PotterLog likes this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Just about anything will work. I’ve used everything from studio headphones to iPhone earbuds without problems.

PotterLog likes this.
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    (Sorry for even asking this, but I knew a guitarist who plugged his headphones into the speaker output of his tube amp.)

What amp are you using, and what does the manual say about the headphone output specs? (That is, you're not trying to use a line or speaker output, right?)

PotterLog likes this.
  5. PotterLog

PotterLog

Apr 25, 2018

Thanks, it's a Hartke HD25 and it's definitely the right phones output. I haven't actually looked at the manual (good idea! :dead: ) but I've since tried the same adaptor with other phones and they work fine.. it's something to do with the compatibility of this particular 3.5 jack (I don't know exactly what as it seems to engage fine but there you go).

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ah, could be the match b/w 'phones and adapter. For example, some headphone plugs are threaded (these usually come with their own threaded adapter), and so they don't always mate well with standard 3.5 mm-to-1/4" adapters.

I'm assuming you've tested that the headphones work when plugged directly into a 3/5 mm headphones source. Do the Sony earphones also give you trouble with that adapter in different 1/4" headphone outputs? Or does the headphone/adapter pairing only act up in your Hartke's 'phones output?