Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should classifieds posting be reserved for contributing members?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, May 21, 2003.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I'm pondering the idea of limiting new thread posts in the classifieds section (including a possible classifieds section for teachers) to supporting members and mods. Ok, so I stole the idea from another forum :) Any thoughts on this? I'm currently leaning in favor of the idea. Classifieds in any other medium are almost never free, and sometimes I feel a little 'used' by people who register simply to post their goods for sale.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i say ok - maybe with the caveat that actual contributing members - say folks with over a thousand posts or so - can maybe post some gear for sale ads.

otherwise, sure, that's fair.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know... I do agree with the part about people joining up just to use the classifieds, that is pretty unfair, and I don't agree with it either.

That said, there are a whole lot of members who use the site to its full potential, even though they don't support, and it would be taking away their opportunity to sell their gear.

On top of that, the classified section gives a lot of the people who do support and participate in Talkbass a chance to get gear they are GASSin for, even if the seller isn't an active member or supporter.

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I say the classifieds should be limited to contributing members regardless of post count. It's taken me close to a year to get to 1000 posts. I agree that alot of people sign up just to post their stuff and then never come back.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    So what you're sayin' is that in a couple of years, I should be able to post some gear for sale?

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
    mod with the lowest post per day ratio.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think it's more than fair.

Paul's busted his ass to provide content that outshines all other sites, so if you want to ride his coattails to a sale using the membership he built up, then, by God, pay your supporting membership fee. :bassist:

And, if you don't agree with paying a fee, there's always www.bassgear.com.

Sure, there are deals that people might miss out on if they are only looking at Talkbass classifieds, but no one is entitled to having a great deal fall in their lap.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I agree with paul. It will do nothing except encourage people to pony up, and make the for sale forum a more trustworthy, because we are more likely to know and trust the people doing the selling.

8. If there was only some way to stop people just signing up to sell their gear... maybe make it so you have to be a member for three months or *something* before they can post there.

I have bought good stuff from people who are not supporting members, or who have less than 1000 posts, but I think they all had over 200 posts and had been a member more than 6 months.

I vote for putting a time period between signing up and being able to post in the FS forum.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm for Paul's idea, but suggest we allow anyone to post Wanted ads.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I agree. I think it would also go along with my suggestion in the "eBay link posting" thread that, if allowed in this format, posting a link to an auction would only be permitted for supporting members. But either links or no links, I think this is a good idea.

I also agree that anyone should be able to post a "wanted" ad.

11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hello Paul.

I'll be the first non-monitary supporter to chime in. I really enjoy your site and have met some very neat people here. The thing that really attracted me here was the free time. You give people a choice to support talkbass or just browse. It's really nice. I can understand your frustrations with people signing up just to post an ad. I also think this is silly. Is there another way to do it besides making it supporting member exclusive? I think some have suggested a number of posts or membership time. I like the membership time idea. Maybe a three-month membership to place ads would discourage this behavior. Anyway great site, I really do enjoy it. Thank you.
    Dan...

12. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't understand how it would make the forum trustworthier. All someone would have to do is pay the fee, then screw whomever they wish. I'm sure they would get booted off but what would stop them from doing the same under another name. Damn, I double posted.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like this idea.

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I was really talking about buying from established supporting members. You know supporting members have the post count right there next to there posts. It's not exactly feedback, but I personally wouldn't but from somebody who had a post count of 3, but is already a supporting member. That would throw up a red flag for me. Also, I don't think most sellers would pay $20 just to be abvle to put up an add. If they are a fraud, they will just use ebay like the rest of the world.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you misunderstood me - my point was "contributing" in the sense of participating in the commmunity, as opposed to "supporting" who have paid their supporting membership fee.

my post was a bit confusing - in recap - classifieds for all supporting members and maybe for contributors (participants on the site who have posted above some number) to help weed out the "sign up and spam" posters.

16. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I better understand your point. You're right about ebay. I wish it was safer.:meh:

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Paul.

I (with the help of some dedicated members)am fighting the good fight to keep abuse of the BG Classifieds to a minimum. I don't know if preventing non supporting members would be a service to TB buyers. I bought both my Pedullas from TB ads that were posted by non-supporting members. If they have gear to unload, I feel we should give TBers, supporting or not, an opportunity to get the gear first, instead of dealing with a GC markup or - shudder - an auction.

That being said, a lot of people are making a stink about auction posts being forbidden on TB(at least on my side, I cannot speak for DB), as if having a place to post their ads for free were not enough. Worse, a lot of people who bellyache won't even bother to read the FAQ, which explaining circumstances under which auctions are accepted.

I'm not extremely keen on it, but maybe charging to post ads might be a good idea. A seller might (emphasis on "might") post an ad and change his/her price to pass the expense or part of it on to the buyer, who'd still get a better deal than if he were to buy the gear from some middle person.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What about reserving "for sale" adds to supporting members but allowing "wanted" to anyone ?

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do what you think is best.

Since I'm in Europe and 80% of the members (and therefore the classifieds too) are in the US, they're no use to me anyway.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's not very difficult to buy from usa.