Should Derek and the Dominos be inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by moptoptony, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Yes; they have made some of the best music in rock history!

23 vote(s)
  2. No; Clapton's already overrated, and I just don't like their music.

15 vote(s)
  3. Who's Derek and the Dominos?

7 vote(s)
  1. Does anyone else think that Derek and the Dominos is worthy of a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I mean, they've kind of earned enough praise for Layla alone to be inducted. They only recorded one of the best rock albums of all time, and they had such a great assembly of talent for the time that they were together...Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, :bassist: Carl Radle :bassist:, Jim Gordon, Bobby Whitlock...

So, what do you think?
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Sure.....right after the Ventures.
  3. Isn't Jim Gordon doing time for slicing off his mothers head? Not that it should affect the vote.
    Didn't Jim Keltner play on those records too? Wasn't there a band where Gordon and Keltner played together?
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Definitely yes. Layla is one of the greatest rock albums of all time IMHO. I don't think any album has ever conveyed the feeling of a broken heart better.
  5. I think that Layla is one of the greatest albums in rock history. There is more raw emotion and more great playing on that album than you will find on 99.9% of rock albums

However....I think that one of the criteria for induction should be longevity - can you make a contribution over a period of time??? And for that reason alone I would not vote in the Dominoes.

Clapton and Allman are already in.

You could make the same argument for Blind Faith.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Machaut said.

I really like Layla (the song) up until the extended outro, which sounds like a cat fight in the alley behind the dental school. :eek:
  7. Are you serious? :eek:

My vote would be yes, BTW.

Mike :confused:
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    What he said. KTOSS... keep the outro short, stupid!
  9. Yeah Jimmy Gordon did a freak and decapitated his mothers head and stuck it in the oven and then made himself a sandwich. Abd you think your drummers strange!
    See too much Acid is NOT a good thing!
    I believe he's in San Quentin doing a life w/o parole.
    Sad huh?
    Although the prison band must have a great rhythm section (if they let him play).
    Anyone know if Gordon and Keltner played together?
  10. Oh My GOD! I never knew this! :eek:

Thanks for the info.

11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I had heard Gordon was doing time...then again, is he even still alive?
    As for the rest of the band-
    Allman, Radle, Whitlock are deceased, right?

My favourite Carl Radle story(from an interview in Guitar Player mag, I think)-
    One year, Radle was 'voted', like, 4th best bass in Jazz according to Playboy. In JAZZ?!!?
    3rd place was Ray Brown & 5th place was Mingus...

The only thing "Jazz" about Radle was the Fender Jazz he played.
    Radle said he envisioned Mingus calling up Brown
    & sayin', "Who is this mutherf***** between us"?
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't know if they played together, but they both played with Delaney and Bonnie and Friends around the same time.
  13. *On Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Duane Allman...*

Yeah, Gordon did kill his mother, but he didn't decapitate her or anything...Christ, no. All he did was stab her three times. (ALL he did?!?)
    Gordon was a manic-depressive schizophrenic. He was, even during D&D recording sessions.
    He is still alive, though rumors were floating around in the early '90s that he had died of cancer, but correspondants with Gordon claim he is still alive...obviously; how else would they be talking to him?

Carl Radle died of kidney failure in 1980.

We all know what happened to Duane Allman. Eat A Peach.

*On the extended Layla outro...*

I have to disagree with some of you and say that the extension to Layla is better than the other part of the song!

*On longevity as an issue to induction...*

Buddy Holly and Jimi Hendrix both had a relatively short career, yet they are both in the Hall of Fame.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Get rid of those caterwauling slide guitars and I might agree with you. ;) I can't believe Duane Allman was a part of that
  15. moptoptony wrote:

In the case of those two individuals, both of them had ground breaking careers in rock and roll. Both of them changed the very nature of rock and roll.

So did Eric and Duane and they are in the hall.

But Jim, Carl and Bobby? Did they change by themselves the nature of rock and roll? No, they "helped" out on a great, great record...and then they did nothing of great note afterward.

Also, the Dominoes did Layla, and then a live album of the same material - that's it. Both Holly and Hendrix created many many more times the amount of music than the Dominoes did.

16. I haven't heard too much of Derek and the Dominos, but i have heard most of the Layla album and it is very good IMO. I don't think they should however be inducted just on the strength of one album.

People have already mentioned Hendrix etc, and their realtively short careers, but Hendrix made three classic albums in 3 years, which the Dominos did not.

Clapton however IMO, is most definitely not underrated, he's one of the best guitarists ever, also IMO, although I can't say I think or know much of the other members.

So to cut a long post short, no.
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not sure about this-

I think I've heard that Layla hasn't even reached 1,000,000 units in sales...if true, that's so wrong.
  18. I find this album to be boring.

I have tried and tried but I just can't stop turning it off.

By themselves some of the people on this disk may have changed the path of music but for me not on this disk.

Why not Blind Faith?
  19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was already saying "Why NO Blind Faith?" Though I'm sure they are disqualified on longevity the same way D&tD will be.

Having said that, Layla is a high-water mark. I smile when I remember reading that Billy Powell named his kids 'Derek' and 'Layla' because of it.
  20. Im bringing up and old thread but oh well. I love this album and this band and they definitely need to be in the hall.

I personally love the screeching slide guitars . Bobby Whitlock is a genius in my book and definitely one of my fav keyboardists.