Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should EB do a "Vintage Reissue" Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Sure!

59 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Nope!

33 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I was having this conversation with a friend the other day about EB's recent Limited Edition finishes and we somehow got to talking about the "Old School" Stingrays--pre EB-style with slab body and the different preamps.

I thought it would be way cool if the company came out with a Stingray that's as true to the older version as possible--even if just for a limited edition.

What do you think?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They could, but they wouldn't IMO. What they produce now is similar to the original and much better, higher quality, and there's no reason for them to halt the production line for something to change when it's as good as it is.

3. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    +1

4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I hate the slab bodies. Very uncomfortable, I much prefer the contours. With all of the new models it seems like they are very busy moving forward, not looking back.

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Of course, I'm not suggesting that they stop producing the current line.

But if you look at Fender, they have certainly not hesitated to produce all sorts of vintage reissues--despite the fact that newer basses are "more better".

51 P bass reissue with non-intonatable saddles anyone?

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There's something special about the tone of those old 2-band preamps. On the downside: I've read that those preamps were prone to problems. But I'm sure EB QC could correct those problems. So I voted "sure".

Big caveat to my vote: EB MM should come out with a vintage reissue Stingray (and/or Sabre) *after* they come up with a wide-spaced five string. :smug:

7. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    "Vintage reissue" owuld include 3-bolt neckplate, yes? That and the slab bodies makes me vote no.

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    They have corrected these problems. There is a subset of EBMM fans that prefer to order their new Stingrays with the two-band pre-amp for just this reason. Well, that and they think it sounds better (highly subjective).

9. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I voted "no." I currently own a 2004 EBMM SR4 and previously owned a 1980 SR4. I like my new one better. While I loved the tone and playability of the old one (very low action without buzz), there are a number of things I disliked about it that EB seems to have fixed:

1. Slab body. I ended up contouring mine when I was forced to refinish it (left in the car overnight in -26 degree weather while partying - hey, I was 20!). Liked it much better after that.

2. Truss rod adjustment from the head end.

3. Stupid rubber pad string mutes that served only to corrode and gather dead skin and road gunk.

4. String-thru body (I'm still not sure if this was good or bad).

5. Could just be my imagination, but the frets seemed a bit softer on the old one.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll agree on these points.

1. Contours are great, but that's all preference. Personally, I want to get my mitts on a Ritchie Kotzen signature Tele, with all the cuts of a Strat.

2. Spokewheel truss rods are the shiz-nit.

3. They work, but weren't the best implementation of the idea. bassmute.com does it much better.

11. Fuzzbass

The worst part about the old string mutes was that the springs were razor sharp. I sliced a thumb the first time I tried to adjust them. That was also the last time. :scowl:

For a long time I had an '83 pre-EB Cutlass (Stingray w/graphite neck)... that one had a four-bolt neck plate. The body wasn't contoured, but the edges were round enough so that it never felt uncomfortable to me.

12. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    HUH? :eyebrow:

Is the string spacing of a Stingray five too tight for you? Last time I checked, the string spacing of a Stingray five was identical to the string spacing of a Fender p-bass. Which is also why it is such a popular bass, it was one of the first production five string basses with a normal string spacing.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you want a slab body get an SUB :<
    but honestly , no they should not. The current rays are perfect, and the old ones, IMO, were not.

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The 3rd band of EQ makes the Ernie Ball version superior. And the string-through deal didn't sound good to me.
    No need for a vintage reissue.

15. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Stingray 5 most definately does not have the same spacing as a Pbass. Seeing as a SR5 jams 5 strings into a space just 0.1" wider than a Pbass at the nut.

16. Fuzzbass

Correct!

Bridge spacing of the SR5 is 5/8" (string to string), not 3/4" as on Fender basses (fours and fives). Sadly, I'm sensitive to the 1/8" tighter gap between strings on the SR5. The SR5 nut is also narrower than the nuts on Fender fivers.

(sorry for the hijack.....)

17. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

That's the way I see it.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. My feelings exactly.

19. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    They don't really need to. Instead, they should come out with a boutique bass that builds on the MM sound by enhancing it with better woods or neck through construction.

Reissues are not my bag anyway-
    To throw this in-the SR5 neck is way too narrow-I sold mine because I had to adjust my playing style to avoid rolling the G string off the side of the neck.

20. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Today i played a pre EB Sting Ray and was jumping back and forth between that and the current Sting Ray...

Good God...if some one says the new ones sound better then i dont know what you heard.

Granted the Pre EB was a little heavy, but i dug it.

It was from 82 i think the guy said, and the bass was in great condition except for rust on the bridge and the pup.

Tone... the tone was amazing. It had the tightest bottom end on a bass i have ever heard. So Beasty and Defined and it just wanted to get bought...but i dont have the money right now.

Yes they need to make them like the used to. With the old school pup (i believe they are being wired slightly different these days) And if a slab of wood is what it takes to get that tone, then i'll gladly haul it around...i mean christ...i suppose you had to hear it...I'm still in awe over it