Should every bass player have a P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cephas45, Sep 1, 2003.

1. You're not a 'bass' player till you got at least one Fender P.

74 vote(s)
  2. No, I hate P basses.

55 vote(s)
  3. carrots

25 vote(s)
  1. you know, i was in a local used guitar shop this past week and the guy had a used MIA P bass on the wall.. vintage white with tortoise gaurd and rosewood board.. kinda heavy too. well, i plugged it in and it was huge sounding. it had a total players vibe, you know? total meat and potatoes. i'm starting to wonder if i'm missing something here. my roscoes sure have a load of low end, but this P had something organic going on that none of my current basses have... a huge, organic bottom with a grindy top. should every bass player have at least one P bass in their arsenal?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe not a Fender, but everybody should have a bass that has a P pickup and gets that yummy Precision tone. I don't use my P bass clones all the time, but when I need that sound, nothing else will do. And when I do play them, I like the tone so much that I ask myself why I don't play them more.
  3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    y'all could use another option on the poll.... P's are good but not essential.
  4. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    p's are good, but not essential. If im looking for punch and bump, a rick serves me well
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

While we are at it, everyone should own a Jazz too.
  6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    If you're a working player looking to be versatile and consistently working, it's a really good idea to have a P or a J. IME, some people who are willing to hire you simply insist on something like a Fender bass involved in their project. Unless you're a famous name player with a definite sound and approach you are specifically hired for, you do what the guy paying asks. I'm not AJ, so I'll play a Fender if need be.

This observation can spark all sorts of drama amongst bassists - see Alt.Guitar.Bass - but it's just a generic truth. I enjoy playing enough to have a good time regardless of whatever brand axe is in my hands at the time.

I also just like being in touch with the history of the bass guitar since Fender basically got it rolling. I'm into that with all things in life.
  7. Mmmmm....jazzy tone! IMO, I don't like PBasses all that much (I do have one yes...) but I like jazz ones more :) Love dat growl! Still, PBasses are good and fun to play :)
  8. yeah, its definately not essential. i think i'm so used to modern tone that i was taken aback by the thumpy goodness this thing had. its like i was sitting there, and all the sudden i was hearing the tones on all my favorite records smack me in the face with wonderful girth.
  9. Maybe You should.. but I don't think every bass player should. I don't like P basses, and I don't think I'l ever need one.
  10. I can't see any harm in owning one..I'd either want a P-bass special or even the Rocco Prestia sig series if it is to come long as I got a good P-pup sound in my arsenal...I'd like having an array of tones in my arsenal!
  11. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I went over to my friends house to do a science project. He brought me upstairs and let me play on his brothers cheap P-bass copy. After I left I wanted a P-bass so badly... ...still haven't gotten that P-bass...:bawl:
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I started off with Ibanez Soundgears, ended up getting a Stingray and falling in love with the neck, but vintage P's have always made me (removed for the younger children) and I've never really liked the newer ones, but hell, if I can get 'em cheap, I'll take em and mod them. I love the look, just anything made after 1980 is getting the name sanded off the headstock :D
  13. I have a 78' P bass that is always a treat to play. I like having a variety of tones at my disposal. I do think that it is a good idea for a working bassist to have a P or J bass of some kind. it does not have to be fender. but they ar pretty universal bass sounds. nothing thumps out the beat like a P bass with flatwound strings.
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Every player should have a bass that works with the music they play.
  15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Probably no more will be produced since Rocco is now with Conklin.

I do agree, If I was to own a P-bass I'd want the pickup reversed like the Rocco Signature.

It would probably be cheaper just to build one from Warmoth parts since a Signature model would probably be expensive for what it is.
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

I can fake it close enough with my neck-thru w/ebony fretboard, rosewood top and Barts (which probably as non-P as you can get), so there's no need to waste money.
  17. so when can i expect my p in the mail??? :D

that being said, it would be nice if every bass player had one just because it would be nice to have something to judge other things from in a way everyone could understand. oh well. i still want one :meh: my two jazzes will have to do for now i guess.
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I think that's the thing-Ps sound good to us because we've grown so accustomed to the P-bass sound in music over the years because that's almost all the players had to choose from for a long time. I love the sound in some instances, ie Motown, but I definitely prefer a more clarified sound in most cases. Another thing is that I hate the feel of a P-bass. I used to play around on one of those Fender foto-flame Ps, and it's about as un-ergonomic as you can get.
  19. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    It would be a "neeto to have around" thing, especially if it was a vintage model, but it's not essential for me.