Should harmony vocalist get equal pay?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I'm walking into an established band and it's all an equal split.

However there's a nominal amout that I have to pay the band secretary and sound man.

2. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Take away the stage performance of everyone and then ask what does she contribute to the machine of keeping the band working. Does she help with the loadin/load out, drive the vehicle to the venue, know anything about sound, help with the booking/marketing or does she just show up at the gig go "check 1,2" and perform.

There's a lot more to it than just showing up and looking cute.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My wife's bass cab is 2x15, and it's from the dark ages. It's a bit on the heavy side.

She always has to be one of the two people loading or unloading it, because you "have to be careful with it," and her definition of "careful" isn't always the same as everyone else's.

Imagine it is full of eggs filled with nitroglycerin, and you have the idea.

(it's not, thank GOD!)

She really does her part on load in/load out/setup/tear down, and she's 5'8" and about 112 lb.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If I were to assess my band on those grounds there would be only 2 people being paid... the bandleader and myself. Most band members show up, load in their gear, and play.

True, in the sense that women are every bit as capable as men in moving gear (and if they arent, should choose gear that they can move themselves), but Im a gentleman and would never llet a woman carry a huge cab or something of the sort. My wife's old band had a female bassist with a 410 and she had to have help before even leaving her house because it was so heavy she couldnt lift it into her truck. Once it was on the ground, though, she was able to move it (dolly, FTW!). My wife always offers help loading my gear, but I only give her the easy stuff. The heaviest thing I let her carry is my bass.

5. I can understand if it's agreed upon up front, but in this case it seems kinda devious. Of course she's going to feel ripped off. Even tho' she might not be worth an equal cut, it wasn't right to lie to her by omission.

Does she refuse to shlep gear? Has anyone asked her to help? Can you delegate her stuff to earn her equal share? What about when the band isn't playing? Can she print posters, update the website/facebook, drop off promo? I'm just sayin'... Some people need to be told what to do. Perhaps moving subs and large cabs in high heels might be a bit much (being more chivalrous than sexist) but even getting her to wrap cords, set up and tear down mic stands, and haul lighter stuff would go along way.

I think now it's going to boil down to whether or not you guys want her in the band. If she's not really bringing an equal share, there's not much point in having her around at all.

6. Ask yourself this: Are you sure that YOU are getting an equal cut? If the rest of the band has logic that says "She doesn't do as much as we do, we're going to give her a smaller cut without telling her," they may also be saying "He's the new guy, we should give him a smaller cut for a while without telling him."

And, you know, consider how you would feel if you were in her position.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021