Should I add a 2x10 or a 2x12 to my TNT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I am considering an ext. cab for my tnt, and am wondering if I would be better off with a 2x10 or a 2x12... or whatever.

I need more bottom end. I'm going to go avatar...

So, the TNT is 150w at 4ohms, then 200w with an ext. 4ohm cab... so that is like 200w at 2ohms(?)

Also, if you have a better suggestion, tell me.
  2. I'd go for a SWR Working Man's 1x10 cabinet.

100 watts rms,I think.

(I like punchiness)
  3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Wouldn't 12s give you more bottom?

I'm surprised though, that your TNT (115?) would need MORE. My older TNT115BW was ALL bottom. It didn't have extension capability, so I had to add a separate head when I stacked an EAVL210 on top. I loved the way that particular 210/115 sounded, but damn it was heavy.
  4. Trash the TNT(and by trash I mean sell) and start fresh, if you can afford it.

Like you, I am a TNT user. I hope to eventually get rid of the Peavey and start over with a new, budget rig(power, preamp, cabby). It should be a fun project.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I love my TNT.

Now... it looks like either a 2x10 or a 1x12... hrm...
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Seemingly you've not tried anything except your TNT, like the Pro series cabs, Pro 500 head or the BAM combo.
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im in the same boat as you. I have a peavey TNT 115BW and i need something to take care of the high end. The TNT has alot of balls and punch, but i want something that can add that little extra bit of balls and some more high end.

Anyway i was looking into a 4x10. Then, i can get rid of the TNT, and buy a decent head with that. Then ill save my pennies for a 1x15 and ill be right. I duno if this tickles your fancy, but thats what i want.

IMO, (and im not trying to start a brawl in my own forum, just voicing my opinion)a 2x10 isnt really worth it, a 4x10 has twice as much as a 210. if i personally got one, then it wouldnt be too long until i discovered that it wasnt enough and i needed something bigger.

Anyway the cabs im looking at are something reasonably cheap, like a GK RBH or a Hartke. Second hand BTW :D

Anyway thats just my 2 cents.
  8. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the Avatar 210 and 212.

I used to have a TNT (twenty years ago) and it had lows, but lacked the punch you get from 10s.

If you need low end, go with the 212 (Great Cab!) If you are looking for the punch factor, you must get the 210. What a beast that cab is!

Good luck!
  9. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    I own a TNT 115, and right now I have an Avatar CB115H hooked up to it. That setup does provide 200 watts at 2 ohms, and it handles the 2 ohms with no problem. For a 200 watt rig, it gets pretty loud, and the TNT's eq isn't bad, you can get a wide variety of tones from it, tho it isn't as warm as tubes of course. I plan on getting either the older Firebass 700 head or the new Max 700 head, plus another cab. Not sure if I'll get another 15 or a 2x10, I'm leaning toward the 2x10 so it'll cut thru more. Then I'll just keep the TNT for practice. The compact 15 isn't as wide as the 2x10, so I'll have to lay the 15 on it's side. Not a problem really, and that setup should sound decent and be plenty loud, as it'll put out 700 watts at 2 ohms. It'll be loud enough for any situation I'll be in anyway. just my 2 cents.