Should I add a J pickup to my Pbass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ElBajista, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Yes, Go for it!

2. No, leave it alone. Get yourself a Skyline DJ or JO!

3. Other? *insert obligatory carrot reference*

1. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've been thinking about adding a Fralin humcancelling J pickup to my Skyline Glaub.

I've heard different stories regarding adding a J pickup to a P bass. Some say it's great, others say that it takes away from the overall tone of the bass.

Basically, I'm looking for opinions about whether or not this might be a good idea. Please explain your vote.

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    "Don't fix whats not broken"
  3. I would leave your lakland alone and go find another bass with the same wood combination that has a P\J setup and see if you like it.
  4. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If I decide to go through with it, I'll order a P off of rondo and hack that up first. I'll test out routing a cavity for a J pickup, and see how it goes before anything sharp gets near to my glaub.
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    P pickups are great, J pickups a great. I've had tons of basses with both. The PJ basses I've owned have had legitimate tone loss issues when both pickups up full.
  6. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've heard of that happening. What causes this? Is there any way around it?
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Add a MM pup in the MM position and make your electronics active.
  8. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I don't think I want to be that radical with this bass..... :smug:

Now an SX, on the other hand, is a prime candidate for this kind of surgery! hmm......*gears turning*
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  10. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    I have a US Glaub that has that pickup arrangement and it sounds great. There is a lot of tonal flexibility. It was a Lakland installed option and the J pup is a Fralin humcanceller, not a traditional single coil. If you decide to do the mod, you would be best off having it done by a pro, unless you have the right tools and really know what you're doing.

11. hmm... im not exactly sure, but id figure one reason it doesnt have a real J bass sound is because theres not J bass bridge pickup...

i have a p/j and when the pickups are blended it sounds great... it never really bothered me

maybe its just my setup or something...
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    These pickup designs were never made to work together. There are strange interactions between the two pickups. Two J pickups were specifically designed to work together. However, you go with a humbucker "J" and you've got a different situation. Adding a J will not change the tone of the bass when only the "P" is turned on. It will add more tonal variety. I recently got a couple P-J basses and they're OK. I use the P alone 80-90% of the time on both of them.
  13. I changed my Fender MIM P-bass over to a P/J bass, and I have made my own P/J bass. I like the look, and the sound I am getting. I have played a Skyline Glaub, and will picking one up, hopefully this year, and have thought about doing the same as you. I am not experienced with these pups, so when yours gets done, keep me (us) posted on your new sound.

Now for my $.02. Get a professional to do the routing, and all other work. You might practice on (insert donor bass here) and do alright, but all it takes is one slip, and you could do a lot of damage to the final project. Find your local luthier and if he is qualified, let him do the work. Might cost a bit more, but thats what these guys do for a living, and you shouldn't have any problems.
  14. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

I used to have a Mexican Fender P Special with PJ pickups.

I like the tones and the variety it gave me. But i think the P is great on its own. If you can afford another lakland, and you can change basses on stage easily, go with that route.

15. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I was thinking about going this route, no pun intended. How much do you think it would cost? I know that doing this to save money is a stupid and error-prone reason, but I'm mainly doing it because I love to work on things myself. I'll experiment to an SX or two, and then I'll decide if I want to take a crack at the Glaub.
  16. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Naturally, if I had the money, I'd definitely get myself a DJ5 w/ Aeros to go with the Glaub.

I'm still going to get an SX P to try my hand at routing. We'll see how that turns out before I plan anything more for the B. I need a fretless anyway....:D
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    The money spent hacking up some sx's might pay a pro to do your mod. I like to work on my own stuff also but i have a line I will not cross. I am lucky enough to know someone who does good work at a fair price(for me anyway).
    Good luck, if you route it to big maybe you could go with that MM pup:D
  18. :meh:

19. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Until recently I would agree. I wired my SB-2 with a series paralell push/pull pot and it fixed this problem. The 2 pickups is series mode sounds much better than it did before. Much less scooped with just enough grunt in the low mids. I say go for it.
    I couldn't agree more. I almost had my Sterling routed for a neck J pickup. I can't remember the exact amount quoted but it was less than $100. Money well spent.
  20. i recently added a j bridge pup to one of my old BB300 p basses, it was my first route job and although it came out well I would not try it on one my more higher end basses for sure, there were times I almost screwed things up with the router but I got lucky! As far as the sound, Ok, the 2 pups on full is worthless so I back off the p pup about a 1/4 turn and things start to sound better, like a jazz. But I have to agree the j neck pup was designed that way for a reason otherwise Leo would have just added the bridge pups to his already great sounding P basses. Go get a project bass like my BB300 and have some fun with messing it up. My other BB300 is my main ax and I just modded the p pups, electronics, bridge, tuners, and its just sick, and I plan on keeping it that way :)