1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I adjust the truss rod on my new Corvette 6?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My Corvette Standard 6 LH arrived at last a week ago - and im very happy about it, except for two things: weight and setup.

It was already set up at the factory, but the dealer altered it, so when i got my hands on it the strings were quite high - and I like low action.

So, naturally, i started adjusting the bridge (why do they have to make it this complicated?) and the Just-A-Nut 2 to get lower action. And then it started buzzing - not just at the frets closer to the head, but even more beyond the 12th fret, on all strings! so i had to put the string action higher, but there is still one thing: with tapping I get a naughty dissonant sound - that means the fret-to-nut part of string is so high that it too begins resonating...

I compared the neck to my other bass' neck and that was flatter - so i think I will have to adjust the truss rod... but you know that that can ruin a neck... so what should i do now?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    congrat's on the Corvette Lefty, i have one too - does your warwick neck dive??? just curious.

as to the neck adjustment, just do a 1/4 turn a day - that's the safest way to do it!

:)

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, I had to go yesterday and while away I was thinking and decided to flatten it - it was a hard decision... and a bit hard-going at first. I spent three hours setting it up: I did three 1/8th turns, then loosened the strings and, after not seeing much change, I put it back into the bag to stabilize. today, as I took it out, it was much better - but it is still not perfect... well anyway, thats better than was...

Oh, and thanks, nojazzloco! :) yes, mine has a bit of a neck-dive, too, but not too much: it doesnt like being angled upwards, it usually stabilizes at horizontal. The problem now is that I cant find a short (for slap) and comfortable strap anywhere... oh well