1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I? Ampeg Users- Used Heritage SVT & Heritage 4x10 cab for 2k or less?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dagrev, Sep 19, 2017.

1. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I could pick up a local Ampeg Heritage SVT and 4x10 cab for $2,000 or less. I haven't been keeping up with used prices but that seems like a decent price, assuming everything is in working order. But I've seen some heads alone for around $1500 or so. Ampeg brothers help me with some advice if you will. I do not need 300 watts, but it seems like a decent buy, then again maybe not.

Also, I thought I read (Jimmy maybe) that the regular SVTs sound better than the Heritage. My apologies if I got this wrong. I love the sound of my v4BH and it's warm tone and like my v4B AV as well, but it's not as warm or big sounding as the BH. Anyway I like things on the warmer bigger side--but not boomy.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Which 4x10 cab is it? The 410HLF or the 410HE?
    Soundwise a lot of difference.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Probably the HLF since it's Heritage.

4. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks. Can't tell for sure from the pic he has and his info is almost non-existent. Looks like the Heritage is only HLF.

5. As far as just the amp heads go , I don't think there is any noticeable difference between the Heritage and the Classic. The big difference is between the Heritage 8 10 cabs and the Classic 8 10 cabs. Don't know about the 4 10 cabs except that the newer HLF's are not as boomy as the older ones. I picked up a full used Classic rig a few years ago with covers and a speakon cable for $1500. Since I'm not a supporting member , I can't discuss what I think something might be worth.

dagrev likes this.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks for info. Yes, I'm not sure about the age of this rig, but he did say it was in great shape. Given that the guy hasn't replied back makes me wonder if he already sold it.

Do you know what years the HLFs were not so good?

I never heard that about non-supporting members. I must not read the fine print well! PM me if you have other thoughts you don't care to post.

7. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Supposedly the non-Heritage US-made HLF cabs sound muddy but they got brighter/more defined when they moved production overseas. The Heritage cabs seem to use their own speakers, not shared with anything else.

I've had a Heritage HLF and still have a Heritage 810. They are pretty nicely made cabs and sound cool. I didn't have an SVT at the time I had the HLF. I was using a 800rb. The HLF had a bit more low end extension than I wanted to hear with my 5-string rock/metal music. But it certainly didn't sound bad by any stretch. Definitely filled the room.

dagrev likes this.
  8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Good to know that and what cabs to consider. Thanks for the info.

9. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I routinely run a Ampeg SVTCL and a Heritage HLF. In fact it's my favorite rig.

The cab is newer, five years or less old, I can't exactly remember when I got it.

I would consider the ported hlf to be one of the deepest sounding cabs I've used, but not boomy as long as you don't crank the lows. This cab will get a lot lower than my older 810, and does a five string justice without farting out. The trick I've found to getting a great bass sounds using the Hlf is to cut the bass out, find you mid voice you want to push, then bring in the lows to warm that up. You don't need to add as many lows as a sealed cab, as they are tuned for a deep full sound. It's not a one trick pony, and I can get a crunchy Geddy Lee voice or a full deep tube country sound, it just depends on the eq.

I'd say the price is good as long as it's in good shape. Btw, the gear in the picture fits in a Gen 1 Toyota Prius, so it's easily moved around in a small car.

image.

joeypee, Rich Fiscus and dagrev like this.
  10. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Thanks. I do like lows. My 212 AV sounds good with either my V4B or the V4BH but doesn't have the beef that my EBS Proline does. The EBS just sounds bigger and it seems the HLFs may be something to my liking. Oddly enough, I don't recall playing one, so I may have to search one out. I've had no reply from the guy so I'm thinking he sold it--and his manners to just say so.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you like the 212av but want deeper lows, you will love the HSVT 410hlf. The 410hlf used to be a big mudbomb, but when the Heritage model came out in 2010, they added back the typical Ampeg midrange but it still goes super low, only more controlled super low. They also improved the regular 410hlf, but I've heard them side by side and the Heritage is the winner.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Earlier this year I picked up a mint condition US made SVT Classic with a US made SVT 410HLF for $1,000. I realize that this was an exceptional deal but I wouldn't pay more than $1,500 for the Heritage and the 410.

dagrev likes this.
  13. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I've never seen a Heritage head for less than $1,500...

bobyoung53 likes this.
  14. Mudbomb describes all 410's when you aren't in front of them.

15. There is that, for keeping the amp and flipping the cab.

16. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If both the cab and head are Ampeg Heritage and in good working condition then that's a solid deal: maybe not anything to scream about from the rooftops but pretty decent considering the product. JGbassman and JimmyM have some great advice on keeping the HLF from booming too much, and if you don't like the rig there's a very good chance you'll be able to recoup your cost from the sale.

I would almost steal this deal out from under you if I was allowed to use amps onstage any more!

dagrev likes this.
  17. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    On its own, without further discussion, yes it's worth it.

Now rhe only question for you is do you want/need it?

dagrev likes this.
  18. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    How are you not allowed to use amps? What acoustic do you play that competes with onstage spls? I need that too :D

TheBear likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You must have added this part after I replied. Nope, didn't say that. I think they sound equally as good, but the H comes with a better grade of cheap tubes :D And they do a 24 hr burn-in on them to weed out the crappy ones. Other than that, they're the same basic amp.

Sparkl and dagrev like this.
  20. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I think the Heritage also uses thicker PCB boards with better quality tracing. And sparkly grill cloth!