1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I ask for a refund from GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brentt68, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    So I maybe being petty but at this point it's the second time I have been down this road with Guitar Center. I ordered a Ampeg SVT212 cab at store opening on Wednesday November 15th. It was coming from Chicago by ground 3-5 business days. Should be here in 4 days. I followed up on the 4th business day because I hadn't received a tracking number yet. Come to find out the Chicago store was busy getting ready for Black Friday and hadn't don't anything with it yet. So my follow up was the only thing that got them to pack and ship it.

So my question is the cab will be here on the 9th business day, should I ask for a refund on my shipping costs? GC has never really ever cut me any great deal before but not sure if they would even care.

2. Their shipping is usually so cheap and if it shows up in good shape I wouldn't sweat it. I had a bass shipped from Cali to Tn and tried to get shipping inc and wound up being like $7 and they wouldn't cover.

3. They refunded the cost of shipping for me once, because I had to pressure them on the phone every day for almost a week before they finally shipped an item. I think it was only $20.

Mr.Ace, J-Bassomatic and Brentt68 like this.
  4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    They def delayed getting the goods to you. Try to finesse something for your troubles: shipping costs; amp stand; set of strings. Something.

Good luck

Herrick, tommyr01, Fletz and 2 others like this.
  5. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    It’s worth a shot given the reason for the delay. You could bring up returning it too. I’m it sure you’ll be successful, but it’s super obnoxious when people say things will be shipped and they aren’t because they aren’t doing their job correctly. I feel like if you didn’t have to pay before it were in your hands, then they would be more likely to be in the ball. It’s like when you buy something on eBay and the seller prints a shipping label, marks it as shipped, but then doesn’t actually ship it for a few days afterward.

Brentt68 likes this.
  6. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I was gonna say strings. They will usually comp you something not too expensive just to shut up and leave
    :)

Jimks and Brentt68 like this.
  7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Be reasonable and after you say your piece, be quiet and listen to what they say.

Good luck and give them hell

8. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Petty.

9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, you should get a refund on shipping costs. The cost of shipping has an embedded service level. One or two days handling is fine, but exceeding the expected delivery window due to inaction is unacceptable.

10. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Even at $38

11. Is the answer to questions like "Should I ask for a refund from Guitar Center?" or "Should I return this to Guitar Center" ever no? When is Guitar Center not trying to give you the shaft?

12. Well, in fairness, they did their best to try and get me the vibrato arm for the guitar they took a week to ship me.
    They sent me two separate ones, even one ordered from Ibáñez, but still fouled it up. This was even after I told the manager of the store the correct part number, so I'm not sure how they fudged it.
    Competency isn't exactly top notch, but sometimes they at least try.

The thing that bugs me is that they throw away soft cases & gig bags, and then pretend like they can't find one if you buy a display model..
    They know daggone well there is none, because they tossed it, or sold it.

Novarocker, Wolf Tower 5 and Brentt68 like this.
  13. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    A few days delay really doesn't change much. Nothing is wrong with the product. Did you need it for a gig and it was promised for a date but left you high and dry instead? Since you asked, It just seems like an opportunistic way to keep a few extra ducats. My brother does this all the time at retailers and restaurants and it drives me nuts when it doesn't really matter much.

J_Bass and Brentt68 like this.
  14. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Just shipping cost refund. They just did this delay thing on my last purchase too. If the cab is in good shape it's mine!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Yeah, if the cabs good that's my main concern. It's not the money as much as it's not giving a rip. Such is life but as I get older I have less tolerance for it.

Rebel Rocker and dabbler like this.
  16. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Buying stuff around holidays... it happens. Get something if you can I suppose, but personally, I wouldn't make an issue out of it. :)

Hounddog409 likes this.
  17. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I used to work for GC. Be really nice and ask them to discount the cab since they dropped the ball on shipping. If the manager is being reluctant just ask for his district managers contact info. If he wont give it to you, just call another local store since they'll have the same DM. Trust me, this works. They were supposed to ship that cab when the order was put in and they didn't. Id expect 10% off or your shipping costs back, whichever is more.

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    The Reno store delayed shipping a bass to me for 3 days, I called for tracking, the manager was very apologetic and overnight aired the bass for free. I was calm and courteous, and I think that helped. Other managers may vary...

19. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I get it. I might still express my disappointment and give them an opportunity to make me happier, but wouldn't insist on the discount if it came down to it.

Let us know how you like the cabs!

Brad Johnson likes this.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've had very good luck with GC online, their shipping has always been way below market and packing has been great. I guess if this situation really bugs you do what you gotta do. Then again you probably wouldn't be looking for advice it it was really that big of a deal. For me, I look at the entire situation; how good a deal did I get, was I really inconvenienced by someone dropping the ball, what would really make it right vs. what peace offering would I really want. In the whole scheme of things, if there wasn't some major hassle attached to this I'd just let someone at GC know and see what they said. They might offer more than you'd even ask for as compensation.

Then again some folks love to blow up if there's any kind of issue. I have no advice for them besides maybe decaffe.
    :)