1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should I ask for the money?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by allanmac00, May 10, 2006.

1. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I recently left a project I played in for about 4 months. The band was disappointed when I left, but there were no hard feelings on a personal level, from what I gathered. Anyway, we only played one show, for which I was to be paid $50. However, I forgot to ask for it before our last practice, and I'm wondering if it would be bad form to call the drummer (who was given the money that evening) and ask him to mail me a check for the $50. Normally, I wouldn't be worried about it, but we played for about 3 1/2 hours, and I feel entitled to my share. I haven't played many paying gigs, so what should I do?

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    You did the gig. Nothing wrong with asking for the dough.

3. drjojo42

drjojo42

Mar 1, 2006
    bowie md
    you worked you should get paid, i my self play for free,its the hauling of euipment and set up they pay for.:bassist:

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'd ask for it unless it was a really long time ago.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you don't respect yourself, you can't expect others to respect you. You did your part of the bargain. They should have made the effort to get the money to you.
    Yes, ask for the money.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    You earned it so there's no need to be shy about asking for what's yours unless you left them in a lurch.

Get your pay and just make sure that if you leave another band in the future that you give them plenty of notice to find a replacement and that you've covered all gigs that were made with you also in mind.
    That's what I always tell 'em too! That and the fact that I had to buy all the gear they're listening to!

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What everyone else said. You are entitled to it. Ask for it.

8. I agree with this. People!

9. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Go for it! The very worst that can happen is they say "no." To which you should counter, "The agreement we made before we played the gig was that I would be paid $50. I expect you to hold up your end of the agreement." A fair and reasonable person will respect that. Of course, they might be a bit mad that you left, but that's their problem.

If you don't ask, you for sure won't get it.

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    You may deserve to get stiffed on this deal for one reason:

Get your money the night of the gig!! Always!! If that's impossible, get it in the morning.

Fo

ps.... No, you don't deserve it!!:smug:

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Get your money.

:)

12. +1

13. Go to the house of whoever has the money and bring a gun. If they refuse to pay, shoot them and take the appropriate amount from their wallet.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You've been watching too much sopranos