1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I ask my boss to fire me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    My work slowed down and I have a bunch of projects around the house to do. So I asked my boss for a leave of absence. He was thrilled because no sense in paying salary to a guy to sit in his office and post on talk bass.;)

Anyhow they my boss switched me over to hourly since I do a few things here and there like answer e-mails and occasionally go to the office to help them out.

Well I thought that I was going to be away from the office for a month possibly two months at most. Now it looks more like 3, 4, 5 or more.

Therefore should I ask my boss to lay me off so that I can collect unemployment? We would have an agreement that I would be hired back when work picks up. They like my work and really need me....but they are slow.

2. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    Endorsing Artist: Knucklehead Strings
    a voluntary lay off seems like the better idea. but make sure that if you are laid off that your unemployment will cover your bills.

3. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    He may or may not go for this......

With a leave of absence, his net loss is zero. With you collecting, he will be out a certain amount of money which will be due to your State to cover your Unemployment Compensation

If you can get this in writing, that's great. Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in a verbal agreement, and I would also be wary about asking for that "promise" in writing. IME pushing for a written agreement of this type can be *ahem* counterproductive with some bosses. Ultimately, this is a judgement call that only you can make, based on his personality and what you have observed about his ethical standards....

There are a couple of other factors you need to keep in mind:

This is #1
    For instance, my state only pays 70% of your Gross income, and that's before taxes, which leads directly to......

2 - Unemployment may or may not be taxable income in your state, and it is definitely taxable income as far as the Fed is concerned. If you're on Unemployment for any length of time, and do not have taxes taken out then it will have an impact on any tax refunds you may be used to getting - your Gross income for the year will rise without a corresponding take-out for the increased tax liability

OTOH having taxes withheld from your Unemployment check will take a sizeable bite out of that check. Go back and reconsider #1 in this light, then balance this factor against any possible end-of-year hit you may take at tax time

3 - If you do decide to go the layoff route, do it as quickly as possible. Unemployment Compensation is usually based on your gross pay for the previous few quarters. Being reduced to hourly - and presumably less Gross income per quarter - will probably have a direct impact on your Unemployment payout

4 - Don't pin your hopes on getting your old job back. S**t happens, and it is best to keep up a serious job search while you're collecting. The longer you're unemployed, the less attractive you are to potential employers - IME most prospects would rather steal you away from another employer than hire you off the street

Just my 2ยข worth....

4. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Big +1

At my previous job, I was told how I was going to be on pizza. My job was going to be in charge of pizza. After I got excited and got a cell, the place closed. Now I work for an employer who isn't the best on earth. I am stuck there. Think before you act. And even the impossible is possible.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    IMO, not a good move. Now they don't have to pay you and you get no benefits.

BTW, IMO, if something is not in writing, it's pretty much gossip and you're left open for the classic line " you misunderstood" when you try to follow up on a promise.

6. what?... pizza?

7. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Part time GAS money job. After I thought I'd be getting a steady income, I got a cell with a plan, only to lose my job 2 weeks later. Now I work for a donkey.

8. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    And the impossible part was I thought they would never close.