Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 24, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I own a Dean Edge 4 string... with active electronics. I've owned it for about a year and a half, maybe a little more. I tend to leave it plugged in despite that it drains the battery, or so I've been told. But here's my question:

I've never changed the battery for my active electronics... is this normal? After more than a year and a half... shouldn't a 9 volt be drained?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the draw of the preamp, if it's a simple circuit, it may not use much. More complex things use more.

After more than a year and a half, replace it. For $2.99 you can stop worrying.

I change mine every six months come hell or high water.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Let me confirm it for you, leaving the cord in WILL drain the battery. As Tim says, the draw depends on the preamp.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK. I was pretty sure. I will replace the battery. But what are the tell tale signs of dying active electronics? Because for a while now, I've been trying to figure out a high end harmonic noise that comes when I strike a dead note (no, it's not a harmonic, I could have it muted with a sock and it would still make it).

I guess I'll see... as soon as I remeber to pick one up at the store. I hope I can afford it (poor)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just look down when you walk. I usually find enough in a week to buy me a Snickers on Fridays.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Crackly distortion, thin bottom end, volume dropping out, etc. Dunno 'bout your dead note problem, though.