1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I Be Hacked Off About This?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Long story short: one of the bands I'm in had a good gig booked for this summer. Private event, in town, don't know exactly what it was paying but I expect it would have been at least $250 a man plus dinner. It's been on the books for months, maybe even a year.

Well my LG just realized the date of the gig fell on his anniversary so he called the BL to say he couldn't do it. But rather than go ahead and keep the gig with a sub LG (who we've used before and did a good job), the BL cancelled the gig.

Well, he *sorta* cancelled it. He has a second project which he had booked as the opening act for this same event... so now apparently this project is just going to cover the whole night. Since the drummer and I aren't a part of this second project, the BL's decision basically means his other project will be getting the money that the drummer and I should have been getting for that night.

I don't know if I should be more angry at the LG (who bailed on the gig that was booked a long time ago) or the BL (who took a gig away from the drummer and me just because the LG bailed). I should clarify, this is NOT how this BL typically operates so I'm as much surprised as I am upset.

Maybe everything happens for a reason, there's something else I'm supposed to be doing that night and that money will come back to me another way. But right now I'm really p*ssed off.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I'd be pissed. And, I'd be sure to let the band leader know that you still expect to get paid your share since you are still able and willing to play the gig.

I would seriously consider quitting a band over unilateral decisions like that.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I don't blame you sounds pretty crummy and if you tell your wife or girlfriend that you have to celebrate the anniversary earlier or later because you can make some money any reasonable person would be fine with it? and the BL loves the opportunity to showcase his band for an entire evening it's also fine because now you know where his priority is .

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I think your BL should have discussed this with the rest of the band (You & the Drummer) before he made his decision to cancel...... I would be pissed as well....

5. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Oct 28, 2012
    Largo Fla.
    Sounds like his secondary project is his primary project.

6. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Palm Bay FL
    yeah that could be worth quitting a band over

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    What's really ironic about it is, the BL hasn't been booking as many gigs for our band lately and the LG is the one who's been bitching about that more than anybody else. But then he goes ahead and bails on one of the gigs we actually do have on the books, and a big-money easy gig at that. I can appreciate the importance of being with your wife on your anniversary but I can also sorta see where the BL would have been ticked off about that.

And also maybe the BL wasn't as happy with the sub LG as I thought he had been.

I still don't think the drummer and I should have to come out on the short end because of all that, though.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I thinks it's time for a meeting with the BL and directly ask him what's going on. He obviously has conflicting interests and can't be trusted to make decisions in the best interest of all the band members.

Seems to me that he figured he could double his income by cancelling you guys and going with his other band for the evening.

+1 to asking for your pay for the night.

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'd be out of that band.

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A lot depends on how irreplaceable he feels the LG is to your current group.

I've been in a group with a very good blues guitarist, and sure it might be a "band".but a lot of people came to see him play.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    That was some "good money". If the BL didn't run it past the members, well that's close to a deal breaker for me.

Blue

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    @ Nev -

The LG plays electric, acoustic, sings backup vocals and also plays banjo on a handful of songs which is kind of a distinguishing feature of our band. I wouldn't say he's the "star" of the band (that would be the BL), but there are definitely ways we would have to change our show to play without him. The sub LG (who has only played with us one time) is equal if not a bit better as a guitarist but he isn't as familiar with the vocal parts and can't play banjo at all. So I could see the BL not having as high a comfort level with him. The first gig the sub LG played with us was a small-town bar gig but the stakes are obviously a lot higher on this job.

For as long as I've been in this band, this has been my "main band", i.e. the one that keeps me busiest, has the most (and the most fun) gigs, and pays the best. Because of that, this has been the band that gets my priority scheduling and I work all my other musical opportunities around. I have to admit I'm having to reconsider that now. Loyalty goes both ways.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Mistakes happen and sometimes people forget important dates. I wouldnt put this on the LG, since you guys have subs available. You didnt lose out on the gig because of him.
    You lost out on the gig because your bandleader would rather book his other band, IMO.

Aside from the banjo stuff (which you may or may not be able to go without) the rest of this shouldnt matter too much, as the gig is still a few months out, and he has plenty of time to work with your band and get up to speed.

The way I see it, your BL is looking to make some more cash for his other band, which you should rightfully be "hacked off" about.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The other thing I'm wondering is how the client will take to being told the band they thought they had booked over a year out, is now not going to be playing. I'm hoping they just may put up enough of a ruckus that the BL will essentially be forced to stick with the original plan, and get the band I'm in back on the bill (with a sub). OTOH I don't want to wait forever for that to shake out either. If I lost the gig I lost the gig and I'll just open it back up on my calendar and hopefully it's far enough out that I can pick up something with somebody else that night.

Thanks everyone for your input. We actually have a gig later this week and by then maybe I'll have settled down a little and processed things to the point I can engage the BL on this without saying or doing anything I may regret later.

15. You just learned what kind of guy he is.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    They won't even notice.

17. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I wouldn't just be hacked off, I'd be outraged. Your BL is a boob not to be trusted in matters pertaining to your group, because with this decision he has demonstrated a complete lack of concern for the band's best interests. You should hold a no-confidence vote on his sense of fiduciary responsibility and at the very least consider demoting him.

18. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Don't sweat the small stuff; you have several months' notice to find something else for that date. Most importantly, you didn't do anything wrong, and there is no bad karma on you. :)

19. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    Be mad about both. Your allowed.

20. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    Your band leader will, sometime in the future, quit your current band and make his side project his new main band.

Sit back and watch.