1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I be nervous to bring my Ric 4001 in for a neck adjustment?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayzak, Apr 16, 2009.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hello to all. I've had an '82 4001 for nearly 3 years now, and it's the only bass i'm affraid to "tweak" myself. I'm talking neck adjustment here. It's becoming very buzzy and I can tell pretty easily by looking at it that the neck needs adjusted.
    Should I just go to a trusty(non-GC) shop and hope for the best? Should I give them the 3rd degree? Or should I just toughen up and give it a shot on my own?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Or, if anyone knows of a trusty tech around the Cleveland/Akron area, let me know. Thanks.

2. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    just call and ask if they have experience in working on Rickenbacker necks.

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    You can do it yourself. I have, and do.

There is tons of information on adjusting older 4001 necks on the rickresource forum. (www.rickresource.com) Or, send me a PM and I will be happy to guide you through it. You can do it.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Improper neck adjustment on a 4001 bass will damage the neck ... the 4001 bass has wierd truss rods ... to adjust you destring the bass loosen the rods then adjust the neck then tighten the rods then restring ... if the neck is off then repeat the previous steps until it is right ... this process is cumbersome ...

5. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    While over at the Rick resource, why not ask there if anyone knows a good repair shop in your area? Then start your calls...

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks guys. I may try to work up my courage and give it a shot.:ninja:

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Whats the problem with the necks? Dual truss rods? So what, it isn't rocket science. Any person who calls themself a tech should be able to get it up and running.

8. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    If you go slow, it's pretty hard to screw anything up

9. The first time I took my Ric to a tech I went to great pains to explain how Ric setup was so different to other instruments - even printed out Joey's notes on setup. He read them all- looked over his glasses at me and said: "but thats how I do all my guitars".

Did I feel like a douche bag? Yes.

10. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    Everyone I know that has tried to do it themself has ruine their neck permanently.
    Every tech I know has done the same thing.

just kidding.