1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I be ok with my band bringing in a sub.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pinchdawg, Jan 2, 2012.

1. pinchdawg

pinchdawg I'm the kling klang king of the rim ram room

Feb 1, 2006
    wa.
    First thing, I am in two bands. I have been with the band in question since its inception 5yrs. I am booked with my other band for a gig on said date. I get a text a couple of days ago asking if I could play a show on said date I responed with "sorry I am booked" today I receive a phone call asking if it would be ok if they brought in a sub. bass player to do the show. I dont know how I should take this. In both bands we have a rule using Google calendar "first come first serve" I feel a little pissed and think this could change the dedication I have for the band. It may not be the correct way to feel but I can't stop feeling upset. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    sux but only fair to them. if you are playing with more tha one band it is not fair for them to loose a gig...

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Put yourself in their shoes. Say one of your bandmates was in another band. Would you want to give up a gig (and the money) because he's got a gig?

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Be thankful they even asked if it was cool. It's their right to use one if they want to. You really don't have a say either way, to be honest. And yes, you should be okay with it.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I have used a sub when a member was not available, and believe me, I would've rather used the member in question.

It was never an indication that I felt any less respect for that member I used the sub for.

6. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Music isn't monogamous. That's how it works. You have no choice but to deal with it.

7. pinchdawg

Feb 1, 2006
    wa.
    Thanks for the responses. It's a strange feeling kinda like being cheated on. I cant help but feel like a brick is being removed from a wall and it will have (for me and maybe for them ) a diminished feeling of bond with the band.:confused:

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    But you can see how you removed that brick by making yourself unavailable to your band, right?

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Maybe your band feels like you're cheating on them with another band. It's not just about you, you know.

The must go on.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    We subs exist so that guys like you can maintain active schedules with multiple bands, and so bands can book more gigs. It's just part of the business. You gain more than you lose from the band's ability to sub out your position if needed. Subs rarely want to displace you from your band, as we prefer the variety and flexibility (and money) that comes from subbing.

11. I don't get why everyone is saying "You don't have a choice".

Subs are certainly a normal practice, but there is a downside in that the sub is under rehearsed, and the on-stage vibe is affected. Some bands I am fine to have a sub fill in for me, other bands I am not.

If you are an equal member of the band, you have an equal say on the rules for using subs. If this use of a sub breaks a previous clear agreement that was important to me, I would challenge it. Bear in mind that you are opening up the can of worms whether your participation in two bands is becoming an issue.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The solution is to groom your own subs. Then when band A needs a sub it will be YOUR guy. Either that or quit band B.

13. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I think it's cool of them to check it with you first.

I hope you remember to thank whoever called you and say "I hope the gig goes great, I'll miss you while I'm on my other show" etc.

Also; +1 to Floyd Eye's suggestion.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Equal? Sure. But when 4 out of the 5 guys in the band want to use a sub you really don't have a choice ;)

Like Pacman said, if you choose to not always be available for band A then you can't be upset if they choose to use a sub from time to time for gigs you can't make. As they say, the show must go on. The best you can do is find a sub you feel comfortable with subbing for you.

15. CrashCarlisle

CrashCarlisle

Sep 13, 2011
    I agree that you should have no issue with being replaced for a gig by sub.

A bigger issue I have is when a band member tells us we can't book a gig if he can't be there. I'm not sure I'm 100% on that one.

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I've been in a band in which a 'no-gigging-with-subs' policy ended up costing us dearly over the years. With seven members, there was no way to make vacations and commitments synchronize that well. Let's just say we'd end up losing out on lots of gigs during the most desirable times to be out developing a following. I'll never agree to that again.

Always remember: The show must go on!

17. pinchdawg

Feb 1, 2006
    wa.
    Yeah, I know I kinda brought this on myself. I guess I will just have to leave it up to them. This is the point where music really does feel like a business.:(

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    90% of the time, I will find a sub for myself if I can't make the gig.

1. It does a fellow musician a favor by getting them work. Someone will usually appreciate it.

2. It keeps the band going, and if you're really invested in the band, you should want that. That makes for better gigs for you to play in the future.

3. It lets you play in other bands with less animosity from each band.

19. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    they can decline the gig offer. I think a sub is reasonable when you've booked a gig, and then can't make it--keeps the band from cancelling the agreed to gig.

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    It's the price of having multiple bands. Don't feel bad about it. As long as everyone knows what's going on, then there really shouldn't be any problem.