1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I be worried? -- Bass guitar shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dwagner, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I recently ordered a bass from Guitar Center, and I checked the tracking today and I was informed that because of bad weather (that huge storm in the Mid-West) my package's delivery might be delayed. Does this mean my precious bass is going to sit in a cold storage room? Victim to the cold, neck warping weather?

...or am I fine?

Please let me know so my mind can be eased if you think the outcome will be OK.

Also, if this detail matters, it is being shipped via UPS ground.

2. exltd001

exltd001

Sep 12, 2012
    NO, they ship that way all the time. I have never had an issue with scratches or dents or anytype of dammage even form temperature or humitidy.

3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I would be a touch worried, but not hugely worried.

If I had a bass coming in from the cold right now, and I was able to track it and *know* it was coming in from the cold, I'd try to warm it up gradually if I could. I forgot to look at what part of the world you're in, but if you have the option of leaving the bass in a secure unheated garage for a day, I guess I'd do that rather than going directly from very cold outside to 68 degrees in the living room.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a gradual warm-up would be less shocking than a quick one.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If the strings are on at tension the neck won't warp. I am sure GC is smart enough to not loosen the strings, at the least they are lazy enough to not want to loosen them.

Also, highly unlikely your bass would even be in a cold shipping room. It would be in a warehouse. It will get cold out on the truck for delivery.

I live in a much colder region and I have never had a problem with it, even with California basses, don't fret it.

Depending on the finish it will be more sensitive. Nitro will craze if you don't let it warm up. Open the case latches without actually opening the top, this will allow for a gradual temperature change. Poly won't make a difference but I would still let it warm up.

5. You have nothing to worry about.

6. If the bass is coming in from the extreme cold, you could leave it unopened for awhile, allowing it to gradually arrive at your room temperature before opening the case.

7. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    I ordered a bass from NC and was given specific instructions from the dealer to let it sit in its box for a couple of hours to let it acclimate. Kinda like putting a new fish in a tank. Fortunately I was at work when it arrived and my wife brought it in so I didn't have to be tortured by staring at the unopened box.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361899067.271828.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    You will be fine I live in Ohio and I've done it more than a few times. I always have it shipped to the nearest store that way I can check it out in the store and if there is any damage I can leave it or renegotiate the price.

9. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    +1

The biggest danger is in rapid temperature changes, especially form cold to warm. If you had a bass that had been sitting out in the cold and immediately unpacked it in a heated building, the finish (outisde) and wood (inside) don't warm up as quickly. As the finish warms and expands there can be cracking from uneven movement between the different elements. Best to let the whole package warm up slowly and evenly before pulling out the bass. I don't know what the critical temperature differences would be, but caveat emptor.

10. Thanks everyone, I feel much better now. I'll let it slowly go up to room temperature before opening it.

11. Well I work at a GC in Texas and our warehouse is pretty well climate controlled. I wouldn't worry too much about GC itself... most things that get damaged are from the UPS drivers that deliver the stuff. The GC locations themselves are usually very careful to take care of the merch because if they don't.. the store gets neg'd on that item and they have to eat the cost which they DO NOT want to do.

12. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it's no big deal. conditions would have to be severe, or over prolonged periods of time, to cause warping/damage.

13. Alright, thanks.

Someone mentioned this earlier up in the thread--does GC keep the strings tightened when shipping to prevent neck warping?

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Instruments get shipped from China or Indonesia or wherever all the time in non-climate-controlled containers, on ships and trains and trucks, through whatever kinds of weather. The last leg of their journey from the GC warehouse to your door is no big deal after all that. It will be fine.

15. Checked the tracking--It's back in transit now. I'm a little disappointed. If it weren't for the weather, the bass was originally scheduled to arrive today! :(

16. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    Has it arrived yet?

17. THIS. Don't be too anxious.

18. This.
    O.P. Please give us an update.

19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Of course you should be worried! It might show up in pieces! It might never show up at all!:bawl: Just kidding; no, I wouldn't worry about one road trip and a little cold. Just let it sit for a while when you get it, to let it acclimate, and it should be fine. I live in Las Vegas (very hot, very dry); most of my stuff has come from places that require a LOT of acclimation before I play them. Frustrating, but I've never had a real problem. Mostly things just loosen up as the wood drys out. I did have to have my '78 P-bass refinished after I got stationed here (again) in '90, 'cause it shed all it's finish like a snake shedding it's skin, but that was a result of very peculiar circumstances. You should be OK.