1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i be worried

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ryanrocksursock, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Ryanrocksursock

Ryanrocksursock

Jan 17, 2008
    i have an 07 mia fender p bass. when i adjust my truss rod as tight as it can go it has the perfect amount of relief. my question is should i be worried that the truss rod is as tight as it can go? after time will the neck bow and i wont be able to adjust it?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Don't worry. A search will tell how to shim the TR nut with washers, nuts, ect. if necessary.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Check the sticky thread about "all truss rod and action" to find the link to Gary Willis' on-line set up guide. He shows how to adjust your truss rod so the wood won't compress. That should eliminate the need to for washers in the future.

jte

4. Ryanrocksursock

Ryanrocksursock

Jan 17, 2008
    could someone please explain this?

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Do a search here and you'll get the answers. It's been covered a number of times.

Yes, read the Willis stuff. Then learn to do the washer trick anyhow. You'll need to know how later. There are other things you need to know about set ups too so check the books available from Stewart MacDonald.

6. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Are you talking about where you "bend" the bass neck slightly between your foot, knee and hand to "help along" the truss-rod when tightening it?

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    dbcandle-

Yes. If you do that you probably won't ever need the washer trick. And if you have an old Peavey, it's imperative that you do this. They were made with very little clearance for the truss rod wrench, and the supplied Peavey wrench was just a stamped bit of aluminum tubing. There was no reasonable way to adjust those without pre-stressing the neck. I've done it for decades and was a Fender dealer from 1977-1988. I did that on Fender necks including my now 25-year old P bass and there's still plenty of thread on the rod.

jte

8. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Learn about the washer trick, but LEAVE YOUR BASS ALONE IF IT IS OK RIGHT NOW! If the neck is currently stable, loosening the truss rod completely might cause the wood to shift, twist or what have you. Don't fix it UNTIL it's broke.

9. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    +1

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't worry about it for now. I'm in the same boat. The rod on my five banger is maxed out but the relief is pretty much spot-on. The truss rod nut is not removable so the ol' washer trick won't work.

Riis