Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silver9692, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    So I have a Behringer 4500 Ultrabass head, 450 watts at 4 ohms. Ive recently been reading a lot on here about the brand being a piece of Sh!t. And peoples stuff going out on them from this company. So my main question. Should I be worried? I'm looking for a new band and I would hate it more than anything then to have my rig go out on me my first day at practice. I use it at my house at semi loud volumes. sounds great (I use a podx3 live for most of my tone) But Just want your guys views on it.

P.S (Bought this amp before I knew how much people hated them and got the head and the matching 115 cab for only $250.)

2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    In the immortal words of Dirty Harry, "you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" Because a lucky few have used Behringer gear without trouble. I hope you're one of them. But just in case, save up and get a more reliable brand when you can afford it; lightly used gear from a reputable brand can be a good option. Good luck!

3. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    Some Berhringer stuff lasts for ages with out a hitch, I had a little mixer that was about tens years, with no problems and I have a prdal that I have had about two years. No problems. But you hear heaps about quality control

4. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    haha yeah :/ just sucks that the thing im crossing my fingers and hoping keeps working is my amp head!! haha. Ill shop around and save up I guess.
    Any tips to keep it from dying? No signs of wear or problems but I just hate having to be worried. lol

5. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    +1 I've been looking to buy a 12" combo and looked into Behringer's because of the price. After reading reviews from users I can see why MF is selling them at 50% off just to get rid of them. bobcruz is spot on. Some good reviews but enough bad ones to make my mind up not to even think about it. Ordered a GK instead.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I played that exact amp for two years and it never missed a beat. I think the 4500 is the best amp they make. If you read reviews on the web, you will find that the 4500 amp generally has good reviews. It's also clear that Behringer's quality control is uneven, and more failures occur in that line than in most brands.

There are many people who dislike Behringer and condemn everything they make, but there are some good units from them. I personally think the 4500 is a good amp.

If you replace it with something else, it will at least make a good backup amp.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Don't plug it in and turn it on? :D

Seriously not much you can do or signs of trouble to look for. You could have a good one or...........

8. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

SWR, Fender and you had something else on the list ;)
    Get one of those two as a ready backup head, SWR being the better choice and play the Behringer till it's time comes (if it does). :cool:

10. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    I hear Carvin offer some pretty good sounding and good quality amps for the price. SWR is good, too.

I tend to stay away from Fender stuff, simply because in my perception (which is of course completely subjective and could be wildly different from reality), you pay a fair amount for the badge on top of what you pay for the hardware. The flipside of that, though, is that they have to protect the value of the badge by keeping the quality high enough.

If you like the Gallien Krueger tone, they have some nice powerful micro heads, too. The MB500 in particular gets good reviews.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021