Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I bother putting in new p'ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DarkLink514, Aug 14, 2004.

1. DarkLink514

DarkLink514

Aug 14, 2004
    I'm mainly a guitar player but I traded a friend my old Squier Strat for a Yamaha RBX170. All I have to play through at the moment is a Roland Cube 30 (not bass) I plan to buy a bass amp in the near future but I need to know about pickups right now...

It sounds very good for the price, don't get me wrong...but would putting in new pickups be worth it? I mean, it IS a beginner bass...how good can I make it sound with new pickups? Could it be giggable (with new pickups)?

Bass Clip

I miced a quick clip. I'm looking for an Alexisonfire kinda sound (if possible) or at least close to. Any p'up suggestions?

2. I don't know about pickups, but you're probably going to destroy that guitar amp playing bass through it at any reasonable volume.

I'm sure the bass is giggable.

3. any thing can be gigged. if u can play it and sounds the wy u wnat it why not

o yeah guitar player...............j/k

4. DarkLink514

DarkLink514

Aug 14, 2004
    *Bumpity bump

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, given you can buy an rbx170 new for $180 I'd say you can definitely make it sound better by buying a new P/J set. HOW MUCH better you'll be able to make it sound, that I can't help you with since I've never played one.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the main sound issue is the fact that you're playing it through a guitar amp. How can you expect it to sound good? My friend has that guitar amp and sure it sounds good for guitar but... its not a bass amp.

I would suggest you see how it sounds through a decent bass amp first.

7. DarkLink514

DarkLink514

Aug 14, 2004
    No, I know thats part of the reason, but I have played it through a bass amp, and this is a low end bass anyway. I wanted to know it would be a waste of money to replace the pickups and just get another bass instead.

8. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, it depends on how much money you're willing to drop. You can get a really nice set of pickups/preamp for $100-$200 dollars. It WILL make a big difference in the sound of the bass.
    BUT...and that's a HUUGE BUT...you're planning on becoming a full-time bass player, upgrade to a better bass. Otherwise, you'll waste 100-200 dollars on pickups, then want a better bass in 6 months anyway.
    I'd recommend investing in a decent amp first, then play bass for a while until you get a good feel for the sound/feel you're looking for, then start saving/shopping for the bass that fits your needs.
    Good luck, and welcome to the groove.