Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i build a custom graphite bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Feb 8, 2003.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I'm think about building a custom Jazz bass with graphite neck. I was thinking of getting a Status Jazz neck and jazz body and then putting a J-Retro in. Question- Would an alder body sound good with a Graphite neck, or would it sound a bit thin? Maple? a bit to heavey me thinks.

Has any one ever built a Jazz bass with a Graphite neck before?

I remeber Mark White (SD) used a Graphite custon jazz for a long time and that thing was sweet! Anyone have any info about that bass?

2. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Have you tried one?

20 Years ago I had a vision of building a bass with a graphite neck. I bugged Geoff Gould at Modulus until he sold me a P-bass neck direct. I stuck it on a Fender body and put some EMG's on it.

I hated it.

The instrument was heavy and sounded & felt dead. Maybe someone else would have liked it, but I'd try some comparable instruments before persuing your dream.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Try graphite first. Everyone seems to either love it or hate it. I had a beautiful Status Empathy 5 for a bit. I loved the neck shape but could never get the "right" tone from the graphite. It dominated the sound. The material a neck is constructed of has a way of doing that, IME.

If you decide to do it, you couldn't have picked a better neck. Status' are great feeling with a very nice rounded, on the top and bottom, profile with a flat that runs up and grows increasingly larger as you get nearer to the body. Very comfortable.