Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I build one or two basses??? Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Use them as top and back for one bass

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Use them as two tops and build two basses

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi all!

Advice needed ;)
    I'll soon receive thos koa tops from galleryhardwoods. They are intended to be used as a top and back set for an hollowbody Plume Singlecut 6 strings fretless bass.

[​IMG]

Now since the first day I got the pic, I'm still wondering if I'd rather build two basses, using the boards laballed as "back" for the top of a second bass :D

I thinks this is just a sweet board that deserves more than beeing on a bass back.

What do you all think?

Peace, JP

2. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Make 2: one fretted & one fretless

3. make 2 one for me(free of course;) ) and one for you.lol. j/k

make one fretted and one fretless but with light wave pickups.

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    fretted/fretless is a great idea. I vote for that. Both should be as identical as possible, except one has frets, the other doesn't.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think you should make 2 basses, one fretted and one fretless. I would use the piece lableed "back" for the fretless.

6. I say stick to the original plan, since one piece is rather nicer than the other...

(Just to make things difficult!)

Mike

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    thanks for your help Mike :meh:

haha :D

Peace, JP

8. 2 basses... that would look great. A fretted and its fretless twin! Either way that's some nice wood!

9. I agree with Mike - the "back" piece would not make a top worthy of you!

Jeff

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    K I hear you Jeff!!!

Better one full loaded bass than one great + one average right???

I'm leaning towards building just what I had planned.

Peace, JP

11. def gotta agree with the two basses thingie.......think about it..more time yet more $$$ and also....twins!!!!

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't think the grain on the "back" piece looks nearly as nice as teh "front" piece. I'd go with one bass.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd stick with using both on a single bass as well. Heck, the piece you're using for the back even looks like an ecorche of a lower back and buttocks.

14. Bryan,

Now I'm not going to be able to get that out of my head when I look at that piece of wood! :rolleyes:

Mike

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Anytime, Mike :D Hey, people were pointing out the, um, vertical smile in the topwood I'm using, so I felt obliged to contribute here. ;)

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I say build one bass. The other piece is not worthy of the front spot...

17. Order another similarly figured set and build both.

That's what I would do anyway... well, like to do.

Geoff

18. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Keep the original plan my man

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They are both great and top worthy, but they work together so well as a top/back combo.

Think about it, would you rather have 2 really good basses or one incredibly badass bass.

Peace
    Nick

20. I agree here, 2 basses! 1 fretted, 1 fretless. Those would be two sweet looking basses :D