Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I build or buy whole?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My friend that plays sax is looking into bass guitar... we both run a business and pool the profits for random projects, and so we've decided to use the profits to get him a bass. I'm gonna be using it for recording too. I've had a couple of years of experience, but he's a total beginner. We're looking for a jazz bass (those 60s and 70s Fenders really have the perfect tone) with a maple/maple neck, and a white body.

Our budget is about £300 ($550 ish)... What do you suggest we do? I was thinking about getting a Warmoth neck, and getting a body something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPLACEMENT-J...358615710QQcategoryZ41406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Then fitting a Badass II bridge, and maybe some Seymour Duncan pickups. Is it worth doing all this, or should we just buy a used bass complete? I don't mind the work (infact I enjoy it) but will it save us anything?
    Thanks muchos in advance! :bassist:

2. To me, it depends what you mean by a project.

If you can afford to buy the parts, put in the work, and (possibly) end up with a bass that you do not like the sound of, and cannot sell because it has no brand name, then go for it. I am following this path myself with a speaker cab design.

If you need to see something useable for your money, go second hand, and listen before you buy.

3. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Get a complete bass. It's much easier and you can get one with those specs. Try buying a Sunburst 6-string bass with reduced string size. It'll look like a regualr six-string guitar but it will provide the same low-tone all of us bass players love. Or you can go with the 4-string Sunburst it's toatally up to you guys!

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I think there's something about taking a few parts, putting them together and appreciating the fruits of your labor.
    I have a Yamaha Attitude Plus 4 bass that's the bottom of the line bass from that line. Although I enjoyed playing, I didn't really enjoy playing that bass. After a few replacement parts, shielding the pup and control cavities and tweaking a few things, I actually enjoy the bass now and it looks great to boot.

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    mmm... There's always a risk I suppose that it'll turn out really bad. I perhaps should have mentioned that I've already built something along these lines with a guitar... Back in the 90's my bros PS2 Concept got smashed (BIG split down the body - it fell apart) and really no-one thought there was any chance of repairing it. I kept the pieces (I was pretty young back then and it was long before I got interested in playing) and it was only a couple of years ago when I remembered I still had them. Spending under £100 on parts from eBay (but several weeks work), I have now have a guitar that sounds and plays better than his £600 PS4 Performer.
    But this is different I suppose - it's not rebuilding something which already existed, it's making something new entirely...

Well it looks like I've got a new question if that's really the case. If I'm not gonna build it, does anyone have any suggestions for a $550 jazz bass that could get that 60's or 70's jazz bass sound?