1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I build or buy whole?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My friend that plays sax is looking into bass guitar... we both run a business and pool the profits for random projects, and so we've decided to use the profits to get him a bass. I'm gonna be using it for recording too. I've had a couple of years of experience, but he's a total beginner. We're looking for a jazz bass (those 60s and 70s Fenders really have the perfect tone) with a maple/maple neck, and a white body.

Our budget is about £300 ($550 ish)... What do you suggest we do? I was thinking about getting a Warmoth neck, and getting a body something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPLACEMENT-J...358615710QQcategoryZ41406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Then fitting a Badass II bridge, and maybe some Seymour Duncan pickups. Is it worth doing all this, or should we just buy a used bass complete? I don't mind the work (infact I enjoy it) but will it save us anything?
    Thanks muchos in advance! :bassist:

2. To me, it depends what you mean by a project.

If you can afford to buy the parts, put in the work, and (possibly) end up with a bass that you do not like the sound of, and cannot sell because it has no brand name, then go for it. I am following this path myself with a speaker cab design.

If you need to see something useable for your money, go second hand, and listen before you buy.

3. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Get a complete bass. It's much easier and you can get one with those specs. Try buying a Sunburst 6-string bass with reduced string size. It'll look like a regualr six-string guitar but it will provide the same low-tone all of us bass players love. Or you can go with the 4-string Sunburst it's toatally up to you guys!

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I think there's something about taking a few parts, putting them together and appreciating the fruits of your labor.
    I have a Yamaha Attitude Plus 4 bass that's the bottom of the line bass from that line. Although I enjoyed playing, I didn't really enjoy playing that bass. After a few replacement parts, shielding the pup and control cavities and tweaking a few things, I actually enjoy the bass now and it looks great to boot.

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    mmm... There's always a risk I suppose that it'll turn out really bad. I perhaps should have mentioned that I've already built something along these lines with a guitar... Back in the 90's my bros PS2 Concept got smashed (BIG split down the body - it fell apart) and really no-one thought there was any chance of repairing it. I kept the pieces (I was pretty young back then and it was long before I got interested in playing) and it was only a couple of years ago when I remembered I still had them. Spending under £100 on parts from eBay (but several weeks work), I have now have a guitar that sounds and plays better than his £600 PS4 Performer.
    But this is different I suppose - it's not rebuilding something which already existed, it's making something new entirely...

Well it looks like I've got a new question if that's really the case. If I'm not gonna build it, does anyone have any suggestions for a $550 jazz bass that could get that 60's or 70's jazz bass sound?