Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy a 5 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Jan 21, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I play 4's now, but sometimes i like to tune to drop-d. When I'm in d the tension of the string sucks, and to keep going back and forth between e and d kills string life and makes the string looser and looser over time. I don't want to stay in d because then I'll have to relearn everything. Should I go with a 5 and make life easier? If so, which one? Music Man Stingray SUB 5 or Fender Jazz V?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I say, sure why not, and i would go with the SUB. Although, check out G&L Tribute series.

3. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    personnaly,.. i have never tried a Fender v that i liked...
    not bad bass but i think you can get a better B for the same price...
    I've a MM Stingray 5.. i like it Great Bass in Band.. and a cool B... (can wait to have my Lakland DJ5 for the 35'' Scale..) but i have not tried the Sub

I've a friend who found that he liked more the feel of a 4 strings and put hipshot on all of his bass.. that can be a way for you?
    Try to find a 4 strings 35'inch scale with hipshot

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think a Musicman would be a better choice, even though i've never played either of them. just from what i've heard around here.

5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Since you do not like flop in your strings go with a 35 inch scale 5'er. Some 34's are better than others but I would play it safe, get a 35 and enjoy a nice and tight B string.