Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy a boogie bass 400+??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jul 15, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been researching tube heads alot lately. My quest has led me to the 400+. It has everything I want in a tube amp. Lots of power, 2 channels, footswitchable, graphic EQ, handles 2ohm load allowing lots of cab possabilities, etc..Anyway, I found a 400+ w/ hsc used for a very, very good price.

I just bought a Bag End S15-d which is 8ohms rated 200w-400w peak, and was planning on buying another one. Will the 400+ be too much power for these cabs? It should be perfect right? running at 4 ohms each cab would be getting 250watts right?

Should I buy it? I think I will regret passing it up, but I need a little positive reinforcement. I have heard nothing but good things about these amps in terms of reliability, volume, tone, versatitity, etc. I know they're back-breakers, I could use the workout.

2. The mesa's arent back breakers at all, they are pretty light compaired to most all tube amps

It should be fine, seeing its more like a 300 watt amp than 500

3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    how much do they weigh roughly?

forgive my ignorance but why is it more like 300w? Is that just the nature of tube amps? I had a 5150 gui**r head that was rated 120w but put out like 98w.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The mesa puts out the same amount of wattage regardless if you use a 2, 4, or 8 ohm load.

I don't know the exact weight, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the weight of mine. Its probably 40-45 lbs, (not mesa shock mount racked, which ads another 40 lbs or so.)

5. Its still 300 watts, it doesnt matter if its tube or not, thats roughly what your speakers will get at the max, tubes soft clip and sound good overdriven, SS does not (ans SS will damage when it clips) thats why tubes are louder, doesnt mean it isnt still 300 watt (even tho mesa say its 500 . . . thats overrated)

6. My suggestion... BUY IT BUY IT NOW! lol..do NOT pass this up, you WILL regret it.

Jared

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ahh yes. I see. I think I'm gonna go for it...just gotta figure out how to pay for it.

Kinda Ironic- seeing how my band just broke up, and I'm building a new rig. :(

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well, i hate to boast, but i just got a killer deal on a brand new one(with 5 year warranty, shockmount gator case, and pedal) for 1100.

im very siked, it will be mailing today or tomorrow....

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    See, thats just the kind of advice i need!

For some reason my girlfriend never says that type of stuff to me unless its a home appliance :rollno:

10. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I read they were more like 240-250w. But everyone still said it was one of the loudest tube amps they'd ever heard. Another amp thats bassicly the same amp *forgive me* is the ampeg SVT-II. Its weights 70 or so pounds. Has a graphic eq. I dont know, its just another option.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    and im probably going to quit my band.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    mine said, "i dont know what you want me to tell you, you know that stuff always confuses me..."

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ha ha...its like when she talks to me about fashion or something equally girly.

All I hear is an out-of-tune trumpet like the teacher in charlie brown.

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    oh man, i know that all too well.

15. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    43 %,

I just bought one it will be here monday. I cant wait. I tried another guys for a couple of days and loved it. So I went out and got me one.

16. Different pre and power sections tho, the SVT II is 300 watts or there about ( 6x6550's ), a 6550 = ~50 watt, a 6L6 = ~25 watt, do the math there :p , so they are both about 300 watt all tube, and are both rack mountable, other than that, there isnt much the same, the SVT is alot dirtier, which is what i like, the 400 + has its 2 independant channels and is alot cleaner sounding, and is about half the weight ( SVT II = 75-80lbs without rack case), which is still light comapaired to alot of tube amps

17. as said tho, just go for it ;)

18. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm going for it! Just sent an email regarding payment and details. Now I just gotta come up with the $ :meh:

As soon as its finalized I will disclose the rediculous deal I'm getting :hyper:

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Some quick answers, although I'm not gonna tell you it's the be all end all amp, I love mine lots! As with any piece of gear, there are things that make it or break it for any player.

real weight: 48 pounds give or take. But if you're gonna use a mesa rack, add another 30+ pounds to your lugging weight.

Tubes: 12 x 6L6 and 4 x 12AX7. No adjustable bias, but you can easily mod it if you want one. Keep in mind that while you won't need to re-tube as often as people like to tell you, it will cost near $250 if you wanted to replace all 16 at once.

Power: You're really looking at an amp that's in the 275-300 watt range. Mesa quotes 500, but that's peak, and wishful thinking. 6L6's put out 25w each, in the best, optimum setting. This is still a 300w amp that can CRUSH the other 300w kids on the playground though. It's a gorilla in a monkey suit.

Tone: It may take a while to get used to using the tone controls. They're not flat at all 5 (repeat to yourself 0-10-0), and then you've got the graphic EQ too. Its easy to 'over EQ' your sound. I tend to turn the graphic EQ off and just use the 3 main EQ controls. Disclaimer: THIS AMP IS NOT AN SVT. The svt has a pronounced mid-bump growl, this amp is best described as 'mid scoop'. The tone knob is FLAT at max, and you can only reduce it from there. In fact, I believe that's how I got mine...Hurley sold his to me because he wanted more mid than it could provide.

Other stuff:
    well I love mine. It can run its full wattage at all 3 impedance settings, and is loud enough for almost any band setting.

I like using both channels at the same time. Each preamp is 'voiced' differently, so you have 3 options there before tweaking your tone too.

I ALWAYS run an extra fan on the back of my amp. The fan vents sideways on one side of the tubes, and I think it makes the far tubes run hot. It will fit in a 4 rack space, but you need airflow around the case to make it not get 'mushy' sounding.

That 4 space amp thing...good luck in finding a 5 space rack if you want to add a single space tuner, or processor. I finally found one used from another TBer.

Those pull shifts are fun. I find I use mine less these days, but they help to cut through when things on stage get out of hand.

Finally...I find I use mine for stage time or for important practices, and keep using my lil' Hartke 3500 for goin' to band practice or goofin' with friends. The 400+ sounds amazing, but for quick 'pick-up-and-go" it's a bit of a pain to move. I started this year upgrading my rig in hopes of having a set up that was both more powerful and smaller/easier to transport. This head is bigger than my old one, but worth the weight and size...and coupled with Jorg's 1212 is a VERY NICE compact rig that sounds HUGE.

To quote one of our regular sound guys:

"You've got the TONE OF THE GODS in that amp!"

20. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I may have an idea...but I'll be quiet for now. ;)

Having owned one, I highly recommend this amp. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

EDIT: I was typing while BurningSkies posted. Yes, I sold mine because I want(ed) an SVT. I don't have the cash for an SVT now, and since I really did like the 400+, I might be in the market again soon....