Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I buy a carvin r1000?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Jun 11, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    ok here's the deal, I've currently got an ampeg svt-350 head and I love the way it sounds but it's not quite loud enough. I've been thinking about purchasing an r1000 from carvin. the only problems 'm having is that i don't want to lose that great sound i've got with my ampeg and 1000 watts for only $650......what's the catch? can anyone give me their advise thanks rock on :bassist:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Eli has an R600 and is quite happy with it. The RedLine series has gobs and gobs of EQ. I prefer very little myself. I owned a SVT-350H but never used the graphic EQ.

If you're happy with the SVT-350H's tone (I too loved the sound, needed more power), how about buying a pro quality power amp for when you need the juice.

There is a semi-recent thread about adding a power amp to a B2R (which is exactly the same amp as the 350H except for being rack mountable). You wouldn't need to use the Ampeg's power amp at all.

I wish Ampeg would come out with a B2R preamp..but being non-tube, it might be a hard sell.

3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.I played an R600 in Mars when they were open and it was great.Alot of thump, and with all of the bells and whistles on it, you could get a great sound, really big bass sound.I haven't used the 1000, but it is probably even bigger sounding.It should sound every bit as good as the Ampeg.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had the R600 and grew to hate it. WOEFULLY underpowered, given its rating. Obviously, you're going to get more with an R1000, but I also don't care for the tones from those Red Lines, nor do I care for the "tube" emulation. I seem to recall a lot of clipping problems as well - I could never turn the gain up much, no matter which bass I used.

I also have a Carvin mosfet 1000-watt power amp and I'm not the biggest fan of it, either. Again, it's underpowered for its rating.

I STRONGLY recommend finding a Red Line somewhere and playing it before buying it. You really might not like the tone, given your preference for your Ampeg. As another poster suggested, I'd opt for a separate power amp and run your Ampeg pre through it.

5. Id advise against for 650 you can get so much better. My friend owned a fullstack by carvin powered by their r1000 and well it worked for 1 year and now the head smokes and is dead. If you are looking for an amp that will mostlikely break down then go for it but if you want a reliable head that will last try and find another deal.

-Vince

6. widefat

widefat

May 2, 2004
    Tralfamadore
    Better try before you buy.

A good friend had an Ampeg B2R, sold it and bought
    two different models of the red eye - he never came to terms with it them. Plus, one unit went back to Carvin twice with problems. He sold them both and bought another Ampeg - one of the SVT solid state units.
    I much preferred the sound of his Ampegs

I played the red eyes, and while I didnt dislike them, I didnt like them either. :oops:

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    bigBbass451...where are you located?

8. If you're really digging the sound of the Ampeg then the Carvin R1000 may not be for you. I've heard the new B series amps sound more Ampeg-ish. A guy I know has the Series III R600, I've jammed with his band a few times on this amp. I'm with widefat, I didn't like or dislike this amp. I'm sure with a little tweaking I could get a decent sound from it. I too didn't care for the tube emulator. The Series II had an actual tube, and in my opinion, was a much better sounding amp.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i was going to get one of these. i tried the R1000 (same as R600 but 100 watts) and hated the tone. everyone say's it's a good deal for the price, but i would probably but this for $350 which it usually is on http://www.ebay.com . i would get something else, my SVT-3 blows this thing away tone wise.

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Don't get it. I had a R600 III and hated it. Bland tone. in the shop a lot (too much) for the same problem under warranty though since I live on East Coast I would be amp-less for about 3 weeks each time. Bad customer support. I sold all my Carvin gear and have never looked back. You can get much better gear for the same money.

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I would advise against it. I do sound for a band where the bassist has an R1000 and the 410/118 cabs. It's not horrible, mind you, but I feel you could do a LOT better for the same cash outlay.

Kim

12. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey to answer your question i'm located about an hour north of detroit.

13. ryder_wayland

ryder_wayland

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you from Mars, PA??

14. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I believe he was referring to Mars Music stores. Plus this thread is like 5 years old...;)