Should I buy a Danelectro or Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squnk, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I have a Affinity Squier P-Bass that I have had for two years, I played it a lil bit but didn't practice much when I first got it. But in this last week I have been playing alot and I am taking lessons now. I have always want to play bass and tryed many times to be inspired to play, but I was to lazy and would just listen to music and daydream about being a rock star. I have seen a couple of my friends get up and become really great at playing bass so I guess I got up of my butt to finally play. So my question is I have two basses I have in mind that I want to but a Danelectro Longhorn bass or the Fender Mark Hoppus bass. What do you guys think is the better bass? I have enough to but either bass but I want to know wich one you would recommend. I listen to alot of Punk rock and classic rock if that is any help.
  2. The fender bass would probably be better, and the wood in dan electro's is s***. I would say the fender would be alot better sounding bass. good quality basses!
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I disagree with the above, BUT - the longhorn is a shortscale bass (meaning the neck is smaller and shorter than the average bass) and if you're just starting out you might want to go with a regular scale bass as it would be easier to upgrade.

Actually, i think what i just said made no sense at all.... you should see which you're more comfortable with. There are lots of shortcale basses you can upgrade to in the future should you choose to.

I think DanElectros sound a gazillion times better than even the pricy Fenders. I have an $1100 P bass deluxe that I've taken to shows along with a Dan Electro Hodad that cost me $350 and the Dan Electro has more bottom, more cut, more tone variations - it's a beter sounding bass. The only thing the Fender's got on it is it's a more solidly built instrument.

Hope that confused you enough :D .
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think the Fender is probably way ahead in quality and durability, but Danelectros are fine. They aren't anything alike, though, so you should play both as much as you can, and pick the one you like. I actually have a Longhorn on the way right now, which I hope to use when I play with my Dad's band. However, as Senor Nerve pointed out, Longhorns are short-scale and radically different than Fenders.

If you're planning to bonk anyone over the head with your bass, definitely get the Fender. The Fender is probably a better rock/metal/punk bass as well. Danelectros aren't quite as sturdy, but with care, they should be OK. They have decent necks with working truss rods, and most of them now have adjustable bridges, and plenty of people think they're cool.

Danelectro also makes a couple of long-scale basses, the DC and the Hodad.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Fender is much better built, and the sound is perfect for almost any musical situation.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Bryan Beller on using a Danelectro on Nick DiVirgillio's CD, "Karma":

"Regarding the Danelectro, I used it under duress. Oh, OK, it's the right sound for the tune, but I've never played anything that felt so awful."

I wholehardedly agree. As pointed out by numerous people the Fender is a much better instrument in terms of build quality, durability, and tonal variety. The Dan's much more of a "niche" bass.
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Are'nt Danelectros made of cardboard or something?
  8. if i'm reading the original post right, and you've been playing seriously for only a week, then wait. your squier will do fine at least until you have a good sense of your capabilities and the kind of sound and feel you're after. in the meantime, read this forum often. i'm sure you'll discover basses that you'd like more than the longhorn or the hoppus.
  9. punk in drublic

punk in drublic

Sep 18, 2002
    i recently bought a dano dc and it destroys all the mims ive played. the neck is awesome for such a cheap bass and the sound is great as well. its also very light which makes it more comfortable to play (in my opinion).
  10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, I like my Longhorn so far, too, but I think dancehallclasher's got the right idea. Play the Squier for a while, then see.
  11. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've had a DC for 4 years now, and i think it's a good starter bass.. It has a decent sound, that doesn't sound at all like a Fender.. If that's good or bad, that's up to you.. The construction isn't very good, I can feel the laminations in the neck, the trussrod is stuck, and it's made of masonite. But the sound is pretty cool, pretty fat. I defretted it a couple of weeks ago, and it has serious mwah.

The stringspacing at the bridge is 16,5 mm, which is pretty tight, but it depends on what you're used to.