1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I buy a Gallien Kruger MB 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ehugo, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ehugo

ehugo

Jan 24, 2012
    I want to buy a bass amp, and my first option is a Gallien Kruger MB 112. I play reggae, rock music and some metal, and I need my amp to meet the sound requirements for any of these styles. But I don' t really know if it is the one I need. Because it seems to me that this amp sounds too brilliant and thin, but maybe is just a very simple impression.
    Should I buy this one because it´s more versatile than i can imagine? Do I have to buy another type of amp to match the sound requirements? The Laney RB 3 or Fender Rumble 75w, are good alternative options?

I need you help and good advice. Thanks!

PS: Sorry for my English. I hope I was clear enough.

2. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Is this for at home or gigging in a band? The MB 15 will give more bottom end (lows). And would fit reggae better imo..

3. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    ^ this. The MB115 is the way to go. But even the MB112 is better than the Fender Rumble. i'm not sure about the laney... good luck!

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +2

A 15" > than a 12" for moving air.

5. ehugo

ehugo

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks to all of you, guys!

First, this amp costs USD 540 in my country. Yes, I know, too expensive. Imagine if I decide to buy the MB 115...

Well, this is the first reason for me to choose the MB 112 instead of the MB 115.
    I want this amp to play at home with my band and small gigs at pubs or parties. The other options are the mentioned above. The Rumble costs 400 bucks here, and the Laney RB 3 USD 380. I can also consider a Laney RB4 (160) and RB5(120), both of them at USD 580.

6. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    You can go with the 12 and always add another 12 or the 15 extension can when you find a deal and have the $. Look used too.

7. Get an MB200 head and a Neo 112MBE cab and grow it by adding another of the same cab.

12>15 in terms of versatile sound.

8. MB112 too brilliant and thin???

Something's wrong there. Seriously. The MB112 has beefy lows in spades. It's not a versatile amp but brilliant and thin it is not.

9. ehugo

ehugo

Jan 24, 2012
    vin*tone: I was wrong. Finally, I spent some time to check the MB 112 at the music store, in a quite cool environment. It was enough for me, once I'd used the contour and set levels on my own, I found the sound that couldn't in my first try. I must say that I also played with the Laney RB3 that day and really liked how it sounds, but all I wanted to do was to check the GK once again. And that's all.

Now, I'm at home with my new MB 112, and I hope to get the best sound of this new little friend.

Thank you all.

PS: I really want to tell you my impressios on the sound I get with the GK, but I find myself some limited to find the exact words to describe it. Sorry! Have a nice play.

10. Congratulations! Great little combo amp!

11. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    And if you ever get the urge to play some upright, it's a well-regarded amp for that application, too.

12. ehugo

ehugo

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks!:D

13. ehugo

ehugo

Jan 24, 2012
    It would be nice to play upright bass, I think. Step by step, first I'm going to buy a new bass guitar in the next months. I have been playing a Washburn XB-200 for a long time, and I really need a new one.