Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy a Hartke 210XL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    A local music store has a 210XL in great condition used for $175. I could mate it with my SWR WM 2x10 to give me a 4 ohm 4x10 on the top of my 1X15 with my Hartke 5000 amp. The cab sells on MF for $379, so it is a steal. What do you think?

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I don't know what to think. I do see that you might be a Gentle Giant fan. If so, I am too. As for the cab, I have no idea.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hey Trip, how's it going? Nice to hear from a TB legend!

Yes, I am very much a GG fan. Saw them live many times in the 70's. To me, they were in a league with King Crimson as the Uber prog rockers of theiir time. Sadly, they have fallen by the wayside and are mostly unknown by today's young fans. Ray Schulman is certainly one of the great unheralded bassists (and rock violinists!) of that era.

Hmm. maybe we should start a GG thread?

4. I don't think it would be a very good match up because the WM is 98 db sensitivity vs 96 for the 2x10 XL.

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I know this should be in "bassists" but Ray Shulman rules!

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'll third that.

I have a cd from a used cd store, Gentle Giant and Octopus on one disc. I love the opening on Giant, with the Hammond, or whatever it is. Such a cool band. It's a shame I'm only 15, I would've loved to see these guys.