should i buy a lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rooster, Aug 27, 2000.

1. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    maybe i could get some opinions from some fellow bass players.iv'e played many basses over the last 22 years all kinds shapes and sizes.i now own a musicman anniversary model i love this thing. my significant other would probably kill me if i buy another bass.but i have my eye on another.a lakland 4-94 deluxe any input on this bass and how does it compare to the musicman.any input i would appreciate.

as alway's rock till ya drop !!!!!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you buy the Lakland, your Music Man is going to be spending a lot of time in its case.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    ...and it's dark in there:D

MM's are nice. So are Laklands. I have a Lakland. I'm happy. I start 3rd grade in one week. Yay!
  4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually the Lakland is quite different from the Musicman. With two Bartolinis you have the capability of more pickup options than with the MM. The Lakland is IMO one of the upper end Fender on steroid basses, if you like J's and to a lesser extent P's you'll probably love the Lakland. I'm pretty fond of mine, a 55-94 Limited 5 string. One of the easiest to play basses I've come across and versatile, too

Sorry about the previous post if it bothered anyone.
  5. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    thanks for the input going to have to take a trip to the music only other question was i was reading bass reviews and they come with two kinds of pickups.the seymour duncans and the bartolini.anybody have any input on what are the best choice for rock n roll.just an idea before i take the plunge.

as alway's rock till ya drop !!!!!
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Can't really help you there. For the music I play (a wide variety) I prefer the Bartolinis. I'd guess most of the 94 series come with Barts.
  7. I think the Duncans, especially that preamp, would be better for rock. A little more output than the Barts.
    Laklands are beautiful. But I would play one side-by-side with a MusicMan and make sure it's worth the extra grand. I've done that test a couple of times.. one time, the Lakland clearly won. But it had just arrived at the store and was probably set-up better. The other time, I thought the MusicMan was nearly as good.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sorry Dave, but IMHO it is not even a contest. I love the Music Man, almost bought one until I found the Pedulla, but MM can't hold a candle to the Lakland. I played a 55-95, with the MM pickup in the middle and the J at the bridge, and this bass captures the MM tone, the J bridge solo'd tone, the P bass tone, and a host of other tones as well, and the B is MUCHO tighter than the Stingray. Also demo'd the 4 of each model, and the Laklnad was a clear winner there as well.

Of course, don't listen to me, A/B them for yourself.

IMHO, the only question is 'Is the Lakland worth twice the price of the 'Ray?'

Of course, since you've got the Anniversary Model, it isn't twice the price, it's only about 33% more, and at THAT price difference, I would definitely get the Lakland.

BTW, never tried one with the Duncans, can't help you there.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I believe the Lakland website has a side-by-side comparison of the two different brands of pickups. You may consider visiting this site to help you in your decision. Good Luck!!!
  10. Hey Embellisher, I think you misunderstood me.. I know Laklands are superior to MusicMans. All I was saying was I did an A/B test once, and to me there wasn't that much of a difference, at least not enough to justify an extra $1,000 bucks. The Lakland's tone was mind-blowing, but that's not my main consideration with a bass.. it's how the neck feels, and the Lakland was only slightly better.
    Plus, the guy who started this thread was talking about 4-strings, not 5's. For 5's, I agree with you, the Lakland is CLEARLY better, because of the B.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's true on the feel, Dave. The Lakland's feel is chunky and substantial, just like the Stingray.

Regarding the 4 strang thang, you know how us 5, 6 & 7 stringers go off half cocked, we always assume that everybody wants an extended range bass, even if they SAY 4 string! :D

OK, apples to apples, ON TOPIC, the 4 string Stingray vs the Lakland 55-94:

Lakland - superior workmanship, beautiful bass, like a Stingray on steriods! I don't know why people compare these to Jazzes, they look like Stingrays, they play like Stingrays, and with the Bart MM and J pickups, they are like a Stingray with an additional sound, the Jazz pu soloed sound, a sound that I love! :D

Stingray - one of Leo's original designs, graceful body, chunky P style neck, better workmanship than most basses in their price range, one trick pony, but, if that's the trick your looking for, they do it better than any other bass, 'though the G&L and Lakland come close.

Bottom line? Stingray - list price around $1500, Lakland, around $3300 - worth the difference? only YOU can decide.

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have a couple of other thoughts on this issue. For Rock and Blues, consider a rosewood board Lakland. In my experience, my deluxe 55 maple board Lakland has a great midrange, treble thing going (Jazz/Musicman) but it is a little weak as a P bass compared to the rosewood boards I have A/B'd. Without experience, I have heard the standard Lakland (non-quilted body) has a slightly fuller sound, and is less expensive. For the record, my mint dlx 55 was $1480 shipping included, so you may wish to consider used.

I think the bottom line is the Laklands are more versatile than Stingray's.
  13. Laker

Mar 23, 2000

I can give you an honest opinion of the Lakland dlx 5 vs MM Stingray 5 as I own both of these basses. I played my Stingray for about 8 years as my main bass until I purchased the Lakland last September. In the last year, I have played the MM twice; once using it in a recording session on one cut (later regretting this) and the second time about three weeks ago to see if it had anything to offer that the Lakland didn't. The Lakland is a much more versatile instrument soundwise, has a neck shape that begs to be played, and (compared to my MM) doesn't weigh a ton. The "B" string on the MM comes nowhere close to the definition and growl of the "B" on the Lakland.

If you can, play both basses at a gig and make your choice from there. I know what you'll be playing once your mind is made up.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I also own both basses, and I concur fully with Laker, as you might expect.
  15. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Jackie Clark endorses Sire guitars, EBS amps and pedals,Evidence Audio,iGiG cases,Sire Marcus Miller V& jazz basses
    This is not a knock on MM and has nothing to do with the fact that I endorsed Lakland for 5 first 5 string bass was a 1989 MM.At the time I thought it was great! It sounded,felt,and played as easy as any bass I'd played before it but,as I started to do more gigs and my professional career started to take off a bit(along with my maturity in learning about tone),the MM became a one-trick-pony.

It has a great sound but basically ONE great sound.

When I got endorsed with Lakland and recieved my 1st bass from them(55-02) I immediately noticed how I was able to get the MM sounds along with a few other cool,USABLE tones! Then I ended up getting a 55-94 and it was clear that I'd made the right choice at the time! They always give you exactly what you need and I've yet to be let down at a performance(live or studio)

I don't know what level of playing you're at but it would definitely be worth the extra dough unless you can find a used one,which would be really nice!!!

Of course since it's your money and not ours :) you still have to make that final decision!! :)

Good luck!
  16. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    If you had a 20th Anniv. StingRay and liked it, I think you will like the feel of the 4-94. Neck profile and body shape are similar enough to be familiar. You can find used 4-94s for $1500 - $1800 pretty easily, which is twice the used price of an average StingRay, but in line with the 20th Anniversary SRs prices.
  17. shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    +1 for Lakland....I love mine.
  18. DoggyD

Oct 8, 2005
    Once you get into the world of LAKLAND, there is no turning back, no way !!!
  19. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i wonder what rooster is playing now, 7 years later...
  20. snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    I think Music Man basses are fan superior to Laklands. The sound is better, the built quality is better, customer service is better, price is better, even the CEO is better.

Thats my opinion, Music Man is far better than Lakland in every way possible.