1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy a new bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackWolf, Dec 19, 2018.

1. BlackWolf

BlackWolf

Dec 19, 2018
    Hi everyone, I'm currently learning to play the bass with a teacher once a week (6/7 months), and recently I thought about an investment for next year: basically I want to buy a new bass, currently I have a Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified SS. The budget is not very high, so I choose the Fender Mustang PJ and the Chowny SWB-1 Standard, what do you guys think about those basses? Should I buy a new bass as an investment or wait? Sorry for the long message and my English, thanks in advance to everyone.

GregC, leonard, Greyvagabond and 3 others like this.
  2. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Hi, welcome to the forum!

My first thought is, is anything wrong with the Squire Jaguar VM SS?

I mean, if you want a new bass, get a new bass — even if it’s for a seemingly frivolous reason like you don’t like your current bass’s looks. Looks can be important. Besides looks, sound and feel can be good reasons to change basses or get an additional bass. Of course, if your current instrument is slowing down your progress or hindering your performance somehow, that would be a very significant reason to change.

You probably don’t want to get caught up in endless switching of instruments yet, but if you really don’t like your current bass and find something else that clearly seems to suit you better, go for it

What don’t you like about your current bass, and how would either of the two mentioned basses fix the issue(s)?

In general, the Mustang is pretty popular around here (I have one myself, though a different model Mustang than the one you’re looking at), and, although I know less about the Chowny, everything I’ve read about it was good.

Your English is very good, by the way!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    GregC, saabfender and BlackWolf like this.
  3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the one with all the basses).

Sorry for the obscure, "Wizard of Oz" reference...

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You're not seriously asking these enablers whether or not you should buy a bass, are you?

1. Welcome to TalkBass!
    2. Stay out of the Classifieds, or you will buy a bass, a week.
    3. Repeat this mantra, until it becomes part of your sleep ritual.

5. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    ^Yep:

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    For the price you'd pay for either of those, though I've heard good things about both, you can get a really good deal on a quality used USA-made G&L L2000 or SB-2.
    Rolled fret edges and plecked frets...very comfortable neck, MFD pickups...the L2000 is one of the most versatile basses made, and the G&L fit and finish is excellent.
    You won't find the same on the Mustang or SWB-1.
    9879727-C-3318-408-C-8495-FF584-BDE5-E41.jpg

23-BB304-C-BD0-D-45-E2-A78-C-95-D02-ADE3-B5-D.jpg
    Unless you have to have a short-scale bass, that is.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    BlackWolf, wmmj, Gizmot and 3 others like this.
  7. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    As an investment? No. Should you buy a new bass that would represent a step up in overall quality from your first bass? Anyone on this forum would probably tell you: "Absolutely!" (Seriously, that's like asking McDonalds if you should buy a hamburger :D).

MynameisMe, wmmj, Ellery and 7 others like this.
  8. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    Hi BlackWolf! I notice all of your basses mentioned (including your current Squier) are short scale. Are you planning to stick with 30" scale basses or are you interested in trying a 34"?

I have had several of the recent Squiers, and gig out with a few of them despite having ten or twelve other basses at this point. They are good basic instruments.

The Fender Mustang PJ is a cool looking and extremely popular bass, and a lot of people here really like it, but I've picked up four or five of them and I don't think they necessarily have a lot to offer that your Jaguar does not already have (since your Jaguar is already a PJ). The Chowny is interesting and also very cool. I've never seen one of those. It is more of a Jazz Bass configuration (instead of a PJ), so it might offer an additional sonic option.

But I don't think you necessarily need to change basses unless there is something you want to get out of the Squier that you aren't getting. The two basses you're looking at are fairly similar in some ways to what you already have - vintage, time-tested designs in the Fender lineage. Something like an active bass and/or a 5-string would be very different and mandate a change, but you probably don't need all that yet - a basic Fender-style P, J or PJ is an absolutely excellent foundation for learning for a very long time and a lot of players end up sticking with those their entire careers.

You could also explore pickup upgrades and other electronic changes to the Squier as a (possibly) cheaper way to explore new sounds while you're still learning about the exciting world of bass (and bass equipment).

BlackWolf and jd56hawk like this.
  9. When wondering "should I buy a new bass?"
    The answer is always "yes".

Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. You don't need those kind of people hanging around.

Welcome to talk bass.

BnB

10. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Wait until the OP finds that no off the shelf bass is good enough for his standards and then builds his own bass using top-notch parts from Warmoth....mmmmm roasted neck and chambered body...tasty! drool :smug:

MynameisMe, BlackWolf and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    No. Do not buy a bass for INVESTMENT.
    Save your money for lessons.

12. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    If you do try a standart scale bass first

jackn1202 and Lobster11 like this.
  13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    What kind of amp do you have? Depending on the answer, upgrading that might be a better way to spend your money than a new bass.

14. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Welcome to the hive. You should absolutely buy a new bass, preferably one that you feel is two levels above your ability. That way you will play more, practice harder and grow into it.
    Happy journey

MynameisMe and BlackWolf like this.
  15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Have you tried either of those basses? If so, and you think they are a big improvement over your Jag, then yes go ahead and buy one of them. What would you be interested in if you waited until your budget was higher? I might well be worth it to save for something even nicer.

BlackWolf and Lobster11 like this.
  16. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    BlackWolf, your English is better than most of the Americans I speak to on a daily basis.

Buy a better bass or amp to reward yourself for progress you've made on your instrument. Basses are not usually good investments, unless you're in the market for a 50's-60's Fender.

17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    No, you should not buy a new bass.

But you might want to buy a used bass.

Omega Monkey, saabfender and jd56hawk like this.
  18. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The answer to this question on this website is always ( usually) yes.

19. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    The answer is Yes, Yes, and always YES to buying a new bass guitar!

:smug::thumbsup::roflmao:

BlackWolf and pappabass like this.
  20. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007