Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I buy a new DB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Vivien, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Hi everyone, this is my first post! :cool:
    I hope you can give me some advice....

I've been playing DB for almost a year now, and I absolutely love it. But I have a very cheap Chinese beginner's bass: a Cremona SB 1 1/4. I'm having trouble with the neck, it's VERY thick. When I play for half an hour or so, my left thumb really starts to hurt. I've been thinking about reshaping the neck, but I think on such a cheap bass it's not worth the money.
    There's also a loud buzz when I play certain notes, like the E on the G string, the Eb on the D string and so on. Also, the string height is very high, but again: I don't think it's worth spending the money on a luthier.
    I've played on several other basses, and they all seemed a lot more playable to me. The problem is: I like the sound of my bass and I dont have a lot of money cause I'm a student.

So my question is: do you think I should start saving money and looking for a bass of good quality? (I havent asked my teacher yet but I will next week) :help:

Viv.

PS don't mind my spelling/grammar, I'm Dutch... :rolleyes:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Vivien, it would be much much cheaper to have your current Bass set-up and adjusted than to buy a new one. You will still lose the cost of fixing yours as it is not re-saleable in it's current condition.

You will need the Neck thinned down and touched up at the Heel and Scroll, the fingerboard plained and your Bridge top re-cut as well. Here in the USA we put Adjusters in the Bridge so we can raise or lower the height at will.

This Job should cost you maybe $200-$400 U$D or so. Now you have a Bass that you can play. Tone and Bowability is your only concern now. If and when you decide to trade up, your current Bass should be easier to sell than before.

3. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    I'm with Ken on this one. If you like the sound of the bass, Then have it set-up properly.

--Brett

4. Before you get the neck reduced, is it not the consensus around here that a thicker neck is better for avoiding left-hand cramping? Vivien, your thumb pain would seem to be something that your teacher could help you sort out - I wouldn't have thought it was related to the bass.

5. Hi Viv and welcome to TBDB.
    I think you should wait a bit and talk to your teacher about this. You say that you've played some other basses, so, obviously, you know some other bassists to talk to about these issues?
    I agree with the other guys, generally speaking though.
    Good luck and hang in.
    By the way, take some time and visit the Newbie links at the top of each forum heading. The more you know about the instrument and the strange people who play it, the better :D

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds like your bass really needs to be properly setup. If you don't have a lot of money, just get what NEEDS to be done first. A better bass with a good setup would be an improvement, but a better setup on you current bass would be more affordable! By the way, do you know the luthier Lucas Suringar in Amsterdam?

7. paulsen

paulsen

Jun 2, 2005
    Hello Vivian,
    I´m a new member since yesterday and your message is the first I opened, because I´m looking for a new bass too. My first bass is a Cremona 3/4, and I had the same problems as you described it. The strings where half a mile above the fingerboard, so my teacher just carved the Sattel and the Steg (what`s the word in Englisch?) down a little, the fingerboard wasn`t set up. That cost nothing. then I put Solo strings on it (Superflexible Rope Core by Thomastik), and that was it! They are much easier to play (if tuned in concert key) than concert strings. The bass had a good sound before, now he sounds even better. I`ll never sell it.
    Greetings from Germany!

8. Hey Paulsen, welcome to TBDB. Please fill out your profile, so we know a little about you. The words, though I don't speak German, are probably the bridge and the nut.