Should I buy a New Jazz MIA or a used one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steak'n'roll, Nov 2, 2005.

1. I'm going to buy a new bass soon and i'm looking for a Fender Jazz MIA.

I like the S-1 feature on the new fenders but I also like the fact that older jazz ARE older jazz (which is a good point IMO)

So, what do you think?
  2. The s1 switch can also be built into one of your own basses. I thought it was just a normal series/parallel mod.

And the fact that older jazzes are older jazzes? :eyebrow:
  3. I mean older jazzes have that something when you look at them and when you play them. Some kind of feeling they were there before you even start playing bass.
  4. Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Just looking for support...

So! If the bass is the same as the new one, (minus the switch, maybe), is in good condition for your taste, feels right, and CHEAPER, to boot, then no question. Just do it.
  5. I didn't made up my mind. In fact, I did not even see a used jazz recently.

I'm just wondering about what would be your choice?
  6. If you can find one in your price range, my personal opinion on jazz basses is "the older the better".
  7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    For the $, you'd be better off buying a Lakland Skyline JO.

Just my opinion of course.
  8. Why a Lakland instead of a Jazz?
  9. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i'd go used.
  10. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    I played a Lakland Skyline JO the other day and it was better than most USA Fender Jazzes I have played. It just felt and sounded better to me.
  11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Good call.
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i played the new 24 frt jazz yesterday and was refreshingly surprised at how well it played and sounded ...adn at $659 seemed like a good deal. It is Korean but played better than many MIA's that i have laid hands on...
  13. What do you think of the 2 carbon "kind-of-help-for-the-truss-rod"? Does it worth buying new?
  14. Here in Canada a new jazz MIA costs around 1400$-1500$ and a nice used one could cost around the same price depending on its condition. So money is not really a point.
  15. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    If you haven't done so already, try a Lakland. You might be surprised. If you have the $ buy a Modulus VJ4. My favorite jazz and I'm not just saying that because I own one. :smug:
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No reason. Geoff just prefers Lakland. Many people prefer lots of different basses over a genuine Fender Jazz Bass™, if we had a thread saying "what do you like better than a USA Jazz" Geoff's comment would have been more pertinent. However, you're asking for questions regarding a USA Jazz, I assume you've decided on one for whatever reason. There are lots of reasons to prefer a USA Jazz bass.

Lakland Skylines are nice Jazz Bass Copies made in Korea. If you're in the market for "Jazz Bass style" basses, they're worth a look, as are a host of other models. If however you've determined that you want the genuine article, Geoff's advice is off-topic.

Personally I would recommend looking for a bargian. New used, doesn't matter. The functionality of the S1 switch should be easy to add to an older Jazz by your local competent guitar electronics tech.

A USA Jazz bass is a very nice bass to own. Are you considering the active or non-traditional ones at all? I personally would recommend a bone stock passive Jazz, I'm completely in love with mine.
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I buy used whenever possible. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can basically install the S-1 switch (common series/parallel mod, there's a walkthrough somewhere in the pickups/electronics forum) and it's easy as pie to do, I've done it. If not, a tech could probably do it for $30-50, definately something I'd suggest looking at.

I prefer to buy used basically because I've never needed warranty repairs, and on the brighter side, if it's lasted a few years without breaking, no reason to think it'll break now. That, and with a few dings in it, you can really save a few bucks and not worry about putting the first ding in it yourself. Win/win situation IMO.
  18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've bought new and used basses. I have liked them both and got good and not so good deals on both. I have always kept the new ones longer. All my current gear was purchased new. I will buy used if the price is right, but since I have a couple connections, sometimes I can get new for a fraction over used.
  19. Commonly known as "mojo" :D