Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i buy a second hand Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Cuban, Aug 27, 2002.

1. The Cuban

The Cuban

Aug 27, 2002
    Newcastle
    I was looking for a new bass and i came across a second hand warwick bolt on thumb and i got him down to £500 what should i do????:confused:

2. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    4 or 5 string? Thumbs are amazing basses, if its in good condition I say go for it, youll love it! :)

3. The Cuban

The Cuban

Aug 27, 2002
    Newcastle
    It is in goog nick but i want to play it abit more just to make sure the pickups are ok but that was the reply i was loking for thanks.:D

4. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    my friend got a beautiful one from... some guy in italy i think. its an awesome bass, back from 84 or so, when everything was still handmade. i would highly suggest it, they are sweet basses. what year is it though? i think that the handmade ones far surpass the new factory ones, but in not sure when they changed.

good luck with your find-
    Sharp

5. The Cuban

The Cuban

Aug 27, 2002
    Newcastle
    By the way it is a 4 string

6. The Cuban

The Cuban

Aug 27, 2002
    Newcastle
    As far as i know it is a 1997 but i am not sure. I had a play on it today and it sounded great.

7. 1997? The last year for the famous Warwick Brass Nut and Flush Mount Straplocks.

8. The Cuban

The Cuban

Aug 27, 2002
    Newcastle
    Is that a good thing, i am new to this sort of thing?

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    What's the name of your friend?
    Warwick basses were hand made until 1991.

10. Nah.

A plastic nut on rails and huge-ass strap buttons with rubber gromets are much better.

11. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN

It's not plastic damnit!

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Yes, it was. But since it wasn't strong enough to hold the strings in position, it was replaced by another ugly nut, made with cheap graphite.

13. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN

Hey, but cheap graphite is better than plastic.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW, the S/N on mine ends in "-98", and it has the brass nut (which I like) and flush mount straploks (which I don't). But I bought it used, and I have no idea if the S/N indicates build year, or if it's been modded.

15. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

If it's a 1984 or so model, it ain't a Thumb bolton, it's a necktru

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    The Thumb is "born" in 1985... if the one you're talking about have a strange JD signature on the headstock, it's a '85 or '86. If it haven't this signature but does have the one piece bridge, it's an '87. If it have the two piece bridge and no JD signature, it can be an '88, and if it doesn't have the strange plastic bushings on the headstock, it's an '89. If it have MEC pickups, it can be a '90.

17. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I bought a 1987 Thumb Thru-neck (2-piece bridge, straplocks, brass nut,leds, solid gloss finish) a few months ago and i have to say its the best bass ive played.... it only has one problem.... No B string.

Chris

18. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Are you sure it's a 1987 one? I know for sure that '87 Thumbs have the early one piece bridge...

19. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

However it has to be a necktru, the bolton has been introduced later.

p.s. Ho visto che sei italiano, di dove?

20. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe

ROTFL! I was trying to understand what it meant in English!! I live in Southern Italy... in a smallest town... 1000km from Milan :rolleyes: