1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy a Silverface Showman head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I found a steal of a deal on a Silverface Showman head. I am thinking it would be a great smaller rig with an Ampeg SVT 210av. I have a micro VR head that I'm using for that purpose, but the Showman is calling me.

I dabble in guitar too, so I know it would be a great for that as well.

Problem is I have a sweet V4 head that makes the Showman a little redundant from a power standpoint. The Ampeg would be my go-to for gigs with a drummer, but the Showman would seem to be great for smaller jams and at-home guitar noodling. One major benefit is it is significantly lighter than the V4, so much easier grab and go amp.

I have a soft spot for Silverface Fender heads for some reason, but part of me is questioning why buy an 85 watt head when I already have a 100 watt V4 (plus an early 50 watt Marshall JCM 800, 80's Hiwatt, Fender 60 watt SuperSonic combo that I've inherited..)

markjazzbassist likes this.
  2. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    Depends on which silverface...69s are real close to pre CBS, just a few tweaks. I've got a Twin Reverb that I had channel 1 revoiced to a Super Bassman tonestack, and with a fresh set up 6L6s, biased right just gets it done...

Of course depends on how much time, effort, and $$$ you want to put into it

3. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I think they only made these 68-70 year models. I'm just torn because it seems like a great score for $400

4. 400 bux sounds more than reasonable.
    If it doesn't need much work, then you are good to go,
    within the confins of what it is and can do, of course.

5. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    yes

Linnin likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    YES! :thumbsup: :smug:

7. yes, if you don't like it flip it for more. missing your old bassman head? great amps man, I love that fender tone stack.

kbakerde likes this.
  8. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I actually was going to PM you about it Mark but forgot. Seems like I could flip it if need be. I just have a hard time passing when I see a good deal. Plus I just love Silverface fenders. Maybe because when I started playing in the early 90's, they were everywhere in the guitar and pawn shops.

kbakerde likes this.
  9. yeah I've sold it sadly, got this bantam bass (basically a tube rectified bassman, had to swap the OT for a bassman one) that I'm loving. sorry man :(

seems like you have some great shops near you or something, because the prices you get on gear is fantastic.

10. GAS is a bitch ain’t it? LOL :D

11. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Gas is a bitch! Picked it up at lunch.

IMG_0175.JPG

Local shop is awesome. They are having a big sale to downsize. Several Fender amps have yet to sell including a couple Super Reverbs, Pro Reverb, Super Six, blackface dual reverb, etc. Couple bass man cabs..

deathness, kbakerde, Road Hat and 5 others like this.
  12. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Oh I meant PM you about the Showman, not the Bassman :)

13. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Nice. Although it might seem redundant with the V4B, fenders have a pretty different thing going on than Ampeg.

You said you might run it with a 210av -- I think that's an 8 ohm cab? -- but I bet your fender wants to see a 4 ohm load? I think fenders are very forgiving of mismatched loads, but you will not be getting the most out of the amp, into a pretty small cab already - so if you have volume issues, that might be the cause.

Have fun with that amp!

14. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    The dual Showman is 4 ohm, while the Showman is 8 ohm from what I'm reading.

This will be for lightweight jam duty for bass and a clean platform for guitar :)

leonard and markjazzbassist like this.
  15. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    So the more I research (while at work of course lol) this is an early version. It has the black lines separating the sets of knobs. Tube chart has AB763 on it. Score!

Road Hat, leonard and markjazzbassist like this.
  16. beautiful condition, beautiful amp, congrats man, enjoy!

17. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, it seems as if you got the Showman already. But what I was going to say is to check out Super Twins/Studio Bass amps. They come up pretty regularly and do get you something both similar (Fender tone stack) and different (rotary EQ section and 180/200w vs 85w) than the lower powered Fender stuff like the Showman or Bassman 100/135's.

There is one on the local CL now, and I have seen them pop up here and there on a fairly regular basis.

good luck, and enjoy the Showman.

18. Yes.

EDIT: If I'd scrolled down further, I would have seen that you purchased it after-all and don't need our advice anymore. Congratulations, I really like those amps, and as far as redundancy with the V4B goes, it still has a usefull purpose beyond sounding very different. The Fender weighs as much as you think it should, while the V4B, for unknown reasons, weighs as much as the Death Star!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  19. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    You win.